1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jet LB: "Would Accept Gay Teammate"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Re: Jet LB: "Homosexuality Is A Sin"

And if they didn't it would make them seem disingenuous about their religion.

Too bad Brother Reggie is not still around to comment.

Will be interesting to hear what Ray Lewis has to say from The ESPN sports desk.

2. AtticusFinch

AtticusFinch Member

I mean, I'd like to hear him give some other "defense" to his views besides Scripture, but that's fruitless. To him, his religion is his defense, even if it doesn't fly to many of us.

3. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I didn't read where Davis said we should wage holy war on homosexuals.
    I don't remember reading in the Bible, especially the New Testament, where it says "Thou shalt kill those men who lay with men, and those women who lay with women."

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Mormons said for decades that it was OK to discriminate against blacks because it was part of their religion.

OK?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He said he thinks it's a sin. He didn't say he would raise holy hell if he had a gay teammate.

When I was covering the NFL, I had 3-4 people in the locker room who I know I could have gotten to say the same thing... I'm guessing every NFL beat writer in the country can say the same thing... I'm glad I don't have to deal with that bullshit. I'd love to say I would have refused to do it, but I usually did what my editors told me.

6. Dick Whitman

I just think people need to begin examining why they think it's a "sin," other than, "The Good Book tells me so." That's just not a good enough reason to judge an action. Again: It's just dogma.

7. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

No, it's not OK. It never was.
    I'm not up on the Mormon faith, so someone else can discus that.
    However, there was nothing in the Bible that said "Thou shalt keep the Black man down."
    The Bible says to judge a man by his heart and his actions.
    Even in Genesis where it says God put a mark upon Cain for slaying Abel, what the mark was is not mentioned. The ignorant assume the mark was making him Black.

8. Dick Whitman

My God, the Spaghetti Monster from Jupiter, says that being Hispanic is a sin. Look, I'm not saying that I have anything against Hispanics. I've got some Hispanics in my family. But my religion tells me it's a sin, that it's wrong to be Mexican.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sin is, by definition, an offense against religious or moral law. If you say something is a sin, "The Good Book tells me so" is the ONLY reference you have.

Then I would ask you to point out where in your scripture (there has to be one, or you lose right there) it says that.

Just like people have every right to ask Davis where in the Bible it says homosexuality is a sin. And discuss it from there.

10. Dick Whitman

If I asked Davis why killing is a sin, he wouldn't just say because it's in the Ten Commandments.

11. Re: Jet LB: "Homosexuality Is A Sin"

Are you making it a cause in your own life or just playing the "bring rationality to irrational belief" card on a message board?

12. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

If he is a devout Christian as he says his response is understandable. Lots of Christians view homosexuality from that perspective. It is the way they were taught, from the bible and their instructors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.