1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jet Blue

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I read on the way up while listening to XM, watched soccer on the way back.
    Options, man, options.

Just make sure you remember you're wearing headphones when you yell ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? after a bad call. Lady with two kids near me didn't seem to like that much. Explaining, "It shouldn't be a fucking PK" didn't seem to appease her.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

This is where I am.

TVs... big leather seats... I have not been delayed once.

Oh, and family of four cross country to Oakland and back for under $1200 a few months ago.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I'll second the vote for Midwest. I fly them whenever possible. The entire plane is basically designed first-class -- two-across leather seats with those wide armrests, more legroom, footrests on the seats in front of you.

They also bake fresh chocolate chip cookies on every flight. Those rule.

Only problem is they can be a little pricey for certain flights/times. But when I'm flying for work, I book them every time I can.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Jet Blue is far and away the best airline. The guy who started company - Dave Neelman is very sharp. When the TV technology became available he bought up the exclusive rights to it. Now any other airline who want to offer TV has to go through Jet Blue.

He has just done the same thing with WiFI and Jet Blue will soon be offering internet service.

Since this is a sports site here is sports related nugget - Dave Checketts is on the board.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Checketts may be the one who gave me my cookie today.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

yawza :eek:

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I've flown JetBlue to New York several times since it was cheaper to drive to Buffalo and catch their flight than fly directly from Toronto.  What really impressed me was the customer service.

Was coming home from a 10 day trip to NYC and a friend had driven me to Buffalo in my car and was coming to pick me up again.  I take the subway out to JFK for my flight as always but, unbeknowst to me, they've closed the last section of the tracks for repairs.  I end up having to switch to a bus for the last part of the trip then wait for the Port Authority shuttle to take me to the terminal.  Get there 15 minutes before my flight is due to leave and they can't let board. (This was November 2001).

The woman at the counter sees I'm upset, calms me down, finds me a seat on the next flight and books my seat although she's supposed to put me on standby.  So she's guaranteed me a seat at no charge and then, offers to call anyone I need in Toronto to let them know that I'll be late, etc.  Unbelievable.

Anyone can treat you right when everything goes smoothly but people who get you through the screwups - that is customer service.

8. sportsed

sportsed Guest

Give me the 10-second version of how one airline can buy the rights to all air-related TV technology and wifi. I had no idea that was the case.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

only a couple of companies offer wi-fi and TV on planes and jet blue has an exclusive deal with one of them.

but there's no way jet blue will be able to stay the only one. as everyone gets more wired, wireless internet will show up on more planes. it's already in a lot of european airlines so it's inevitable.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well, if you're a white-knuckle flyer, several hours of BYH Classic has an amazingly soothing effect.

It's almost surreal, how cool it is to board a 6 am flight and watch music videos until you land. Of course, now the Classic shows fucking VH-1 garbage most of the day, so there goes that.

Thomson is right: It's hard to fly anyone else once you've been on Jet Blue.

But I was under the impression the honeymoon is over. Aren't their prices shooting up and isn't it tougher to get a seat these days? Maybe it's just my super expensive neck of the woods.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Word around my parts, too. It's not uber-expensive, but it's up with the rest of the airlines now. But I'm still very curious to give Jet Blue a whirl someday.

12. patchs

patchs Active Member

I was flying home during the Big East tourney and let out a loud OHHHH when Gerry McNamara hit that 3 at the buzzer to beat Cincinnati.
    Got a few looks.
    I'm like, "It's OK."
    They thought I was going to hijack the plane or something.

JB is the best and the blue potato chips are awesome.
    When you fly them once, you'll never want to fly anyone ever again.

Draft saved Draft deleted