1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus... talk about destroying the romantic myth of the Autobahn

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I twisted back and forth, and decided not to post a link to this, but totallycrap.com released a pair of Autobahn crash aftermath video compilations.

It's in their video archive.

Tape No. 2 is much, much more graphic.

This stuff is exceptionally NSFW.

Only thing more stomach-turning I have seen is Nick Berg.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Autobahns are overrated. They're just freeways.

Yes, there is no speed limit except in cities and in other hazardous places, but if you're going in excess of 180 kph and have a wreck, your insurance company will not pay... if you survive. You have to have a special policy for that, IIRC.

Most people drive at 140-150 kph, which isn't much different than here. But you will see a BMW or a Porsche zoom past you on the left at 200 kph occasionally.

2MCM's avatar is the international symbol for Autobahn, BTW.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

North Americans can learn something about driving on autobahns.

The passing lane is for PASSING. That's it. You don't mosey along there 10 kph under the speed limit.

Flip side: no passing on the right.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Noooooooo ... I'd prefer to be able to pass a 45-mph truck at 60 mph if I like.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

How many lanes on an autobahn?

6. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Just had a business associate in town who lives in Germany and we were talking about the autobahns.. he said if you pass someone on the right and get busted, you lose your license for like a month.

7. cranberry

I'd like to see that rule observed here, as well as another that would penalize drivers for not reaching sufficient speeds in the middle and left lanes. Too slow in the left or too fast on the right are both recipes for traffic accidents. Too slow in the middle lane is bad, too, because it invites passing on the right, especially when the roadway is busy.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

On a somewhat related note, I wish there were ticketing of people who don't follow walk left, stand right on escalators.

9. cranberry

Hell with ticketing. I think people should be allowed to shove them aside. Or at least step on their shoes or something.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

There's also a special place in hell reserved for people who try to merge onto the freeway going, say, 40 when traffic is moving at 60 or 70.

11. This is true, in addition to the $3,000-$4,000 fine you'll have to deal with.

The best part of this, though, is that the fines and suspensions apply to those who don't MOVE out of the left lane as well.

12. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

The scarriest thing on that site are the pics of Jenna Jamison. What the hell happened to her?

Draft saved Draft deleted