1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus and Jazz

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Mar 24, 2016.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Noticed in browsing movie trailers that there are three movies either out or coming about Jesus (when he was a child, the 40 days in the desert thing and the aftermath of the resurrection); and three bio-pics on Miles Davis, Chet Baker and Nina Simone. Odd, I suppose. I'm pumped about the Miles movie. Produced by and starring Don Cheadle.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The Chet Baker one should be uplifting.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Better than a body switch comedy "trend." Though Jesus and Miles Davis switching bodies might sell a few tickets.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The Virgin Birth of the Cool

swingline and Huggy like this.
  5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

He was probably more into mariachi than jazz.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The three jazz movies just seem like such a bad idea to me.

Zoe Saldana is playing Nina Simone. Zoe Saldana is doing it in blackface. The Simone family is furious. This isn't going to go well.

On the surface the Miles Davis one seems promising... but as Bomani Jones pointed out, if they do a halfway accurate job of portraying Miles Davis, you're going to HATE him by the end of it.

And I alluded to this earlier, but if a theater is showing a Chet Baker biopic, they should probably have suicide counselors posted in the lobby.

7. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

The only body-switch movie that should have ever seen the light of day:

And I don't blame Nina Simone's family.

8. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

What? Bubba Ho-tep is awesome!

9. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Agreed. I own the Elvis Concert Jacket edition and I'm not a fan of collector stuff.

I'm still trying to get my head around the casting of the Simone biopic. Saldana is pretty and talented but...why?

Draft saved Draft deleted