1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesse Helms

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PeteyPirate, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I might oppose John McCain politically, but I oppose Jesse Helms as a American.

The treatment of blacks and others who are different, especially in the South, is this country's biggest shame. And Helms embodied it and helped it thrive for 50 more years.

Look and listen to the tributes to the man. Even fellow Republicans couch their praise of him.

2. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I hope Helms is getting fucked in the ass by a black lesbian with a strap-on for all eternity.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Next time Jesse Helms kills someone then has his political friends and powerful rich family cover his ass for it, you let me know.....

I know, I know vehicular manslaughter is not nearly as bad as lobbying against gay marriage......

4. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

It will be a sad day for a lot of you asswipes when Robert Byrd passes away, only because you will no longer have his ancient, tattered white sheet to wave in front of anybody who brings up the Republican racial agenda.

And to Zagoshe: Driving off a bridge and having your passenger die is certainly a bad thing. Some of us probably feel it's possible to live your life in a way that at least partly atones for a horrible mistake like that, but, even so, clearly an awful, terrible blot.
    Getting elected to the Senate on your background as a segregationist commentator, then spending 30 years trying to make sure the black citizens of your state remain second-class citizens ... well, I guess this just makes me one of those mushy liberals with no moral values, because I think that's much worse than one horrible mistake. So sorry.

5. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Someone -- I don't remember who -- posted on this board a while back that, if you get into an argument with a conservative, regardless of the topic, be prepared to hear about Chappaquiddick and Robert Byrd's KKK service.

That dude was a prophet.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

And if a conservative gets in a discussion with a liberal, be prepared to hear about being ignorant and uneducated. Not to mention sexist, racist and any other "ist" out there. The knife cuts both ways.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yes, it's terrible what Laura Bush did, isn't it?

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

No, it really doesn't, because Byrd and Kennedy are specific people being used to make specific arguments. It's impossible for anyone to respond to broadbrush claims about being classified as ignorant or racist without knowing the context.
    You guys really love this "the knife cuts both ways" bullshit. You just throw it out there when you don't have a real argument.

9. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

You don't look at too many of his posts, do you? Otherwise, what kind of drinking buddy he is may be his reality and yours, but on this board, he has demonstrated in just a few days smugness, arrogance and intolerance of anyone who disagrees with him, dismissing them and their belief as worth poop. And I would hope your view, obviously in person, is more accurate.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

To be fair, some poop is quite valuable.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

And citing specifics in response to the "broadbrush" claims is wrong? When Chappaquiddick or Sheets is brought up, it's really just saying don't be so fast to point fingers.

As I said before, we'll really find out a lot about the people on this board when "Sheets" goes to meet his maker.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The beauty of being a liberal is you can always rationalize the extremists on the left by saying -- well, they may have been overzealous but they were working for some noble cause (generally insert "for the children") so they weren't bad.

Ted Kennedy killed someone then covered it up and he has every been every bit as divisive and partisan as anyone on the right.

I don't care how racist Jesse Helms is, unless you can show me where he killed someone he's still not as evil as Kennedy and his political career has been made by being every bit as partisan as Helms.

Of course, I am sure if Mark Madden had said he wished Helms (instead of Kennedy) was assasinated, all of you libs would have still be calling for him to be fired.......

Hypocrites.

Draft saved Draft deleted