1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesse Helms

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PeteyPirate, Jul 4, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I gues Hell needed a hateful, Conservative prick Senator.

Good riddance.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

And then there is this from the N&O's Web site in a list of notable Helms quotes:

As the N&O's timeline points out, he was at one time a newspaper guy and at one time was a sportswriter.

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Fair enough. If you know that, I'm guessing you know enough about NC politics to understand what I was getting at.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

He never showed blacks, gays and other minorities a lick of decency in life.

He doesn't deserve any in death.

May he face the ninth circle of Hell for all eternity.

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Have to agree with you there.

Jesse Helms is a piece of shit. If there's any justice in the afterlife, this guy is paying for a lifetime of hate.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Good to see the left-wingers in here are once again proving what a bunch of hypocrites and frauds they are when the run around and claim to be champions of "tolerance".......

Of course, as usual, tolerance always means "we only tolerate those who agree with us...."

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why when someone dies who is acknowledged as a universal douchbag are we all of sudden suppose to speak fondly of them? I agree with FT and Bostonbred. The man was a bigot plain and simple. Are we all supposed to forget that. He doesn't deserve RIP in the thread title.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm sure Abe Lincoln was proud to have Helms as a Republican. Probably no other modern politician did more to make the GOP monochromatic. Looking at his Senate career, he did not pass any meaningful legislation, went out of his way to offend African-Americans, supported Pinochet, and Salvadorian death squads. Quite a resume. Dying doesn't mean those things should be celebrated.
    That said, thoughts and prayers to his family.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

He won statewide elections for senate five or six times -- he must have been doing something right in the eyes of his constituents.......

And I find it hilarious that many of the same people who were bitching and moaning and whining about people who used the "he was an asshole before, just because he has a brain tumor doesn't make him a great guy" rationalization about Ted Kennedy on the Mark Madden thread (a rationalization I have no problem with by the way), are now using the same rationalization to rip on Jesse Helms.

Again -- extremists on both sides are full of shit but based on my dealings with the SportsJournalists.com liberal mafia there is no doubt that there are no bigger hypocrites than liberals.

They seem to have no problem throwing the "what's good for the goose....." idea out the window when it suits them.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Here we go again with the "extremists on both sides" bullshit.

Jesse Helms was an unrepentant racist, lobbied against civil rights, gay rights, foreign aid and AIDS research. Name me any "liberal" that can match his hatred.

Oh, and RIP, Jesse.

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

That's some weak shit Zag.

Helms was a terrible, miserable, evil man whether you vote Democrat or Republican. There's a laundry list of things he did or said that back up this widespread claim.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Next time Ted Kennedy vows to block a political appointee because she's a lesbian, you be sure and let me know.

Draft saved Draft deleted