1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesse Helms

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PeteyPirate, Jul 4, 2008.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'll be sure to quote that when Robert "Sheets" Byrd dies. On second thought, I won't be so tasteless. Racism is racism, but for some it's not really racism as long as they're Democrats.

RIP "Senator No".

2. Jim_Mora

Jim_Mora Member

I really hope God is a black guy

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I really hope God is a black lesbian.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Glad I'm not the only one.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Since people here can't show the slightest sense of decency, this thread should probably be locked.

And people wonder why other posters have left this forum and never come back.

Get the keys, moderators.

6. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

As long as they weren't African-American.

As long as they didn't live in the western half of the state.

As long as ...

What I *will* say for the late Senator: this gives me one more reason to lift a Sam Adams today. Sam Adams -- an American whom Jesse Helms would have despised had they been contemporaries.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I'm not saying your wrong, but just pointing out that Helms lived in Monroe, which is just outside of Charlotte and clearly in the western half of the state.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Jesse Helms was a racist, obstructionist prick. May he be treated better in the next life than he was to those who he tried to keep down in his past life.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, Jesse Helms. One of these things is not like the other one ...

The only injustice here is that Helms didn't live long enought to see a black guy elected president. A few more months and we could have been rid of him without remorse.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Indeed. Would have been one of life's best ironies...

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I always felt that Jesse Helms embarrassed North Carolina, made worse by the fact that its people consistently kept putting him back in charge.

But except for the above comment - call it a dirty cheap shot or anything else - I can't echo Hank's sentiments. I just can't. Sorry.

12. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Say what you want about the guy's beliefs, but that is funny stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted