1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesse Helms

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PeteyPirate, Jul 4, 2008.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Never been in my kitchen, and also ... dead!

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I remember, when I was a kid, seeing him do editorials on WRAL-TV at the end of that station's newscast.

I hardly ever agreed with his politics, but he was the rare politician who was a straight-shooter and if, during a campaign, he said he would do something, he did it. Because his politics were different from mine, I always hoped he wouldn't be consistent. But he almost always was.

That Hunt-Helms senate campaign was one of the dirtiest and most interesting campaigns I've ever followed.

Whether you agreed with his politics or not, he was definitely interesting.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Not a big fan of his, but I'm sure he does have a family and people who love him. No point in badmouthing him now.
    RIP.

4. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Here's a link:

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=6245448

Might want to add an RIP to the thread title.

5. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

And to that extent, doing what you say and shooting straight, few Congressmen today could shine his shoes.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

That's one of the many things wrong with this place. If it's not something a thread starter likes or believes in, then it's not worth as much as other events/deaths. ::)

And just to be clear, I'm not referring to you Mr. Cider, just agreeing with you that there should be an RIP there.

7. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Ondeadline brings up some good points.

Also, no one in Congress did more for the farmer than he did. Politics aside, he did what he could for the people he represented.

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Oh, Jesus Christ, this is making me sick.
    Jesse Helms was a racist asshole who seriously impeded the cause of healing and progress in North Carolina. His election to the Senate was the clearest sign that the '60s atmosphere of growing tolerance and hope was over. Yeah, he meant what he said. So did Hitler.
    I hope Jesse is reincarnated as Al Sharpton's seat cushion.
    RIP that.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

That took longer than I thought.

As opposed to those nice racist?

As I said, I hardly ever agreed with him and that included his views on race.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I thought Jesse died years ago.

And while I wasn't a fan of a lot of his racial shit, "reincarnated as Al Sharpton's seat cushion" gives the latter far too much latitude.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Me too. Someone told me he died, and I said, "Again?"

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I think people are confusing Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms.

Draft saved Draft deleted