1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jersey Shore suggestions (UPDATED)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Magic In The Night, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

So we're headed down to the Shore, where everything's all right, as Bruce says. Tomorrow night, going to Southside Johnny show at the Stone Pony. We have a lot of ideas from the Bruce boards but if anyone here has any suggestions for things to do, places to go, restaurants/bars not to miss, I'd love to hear them. We're staying at the Berk in Asbury but will have a rental car so we'll be mobile. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: We're headed back next week. Looking to see if there is anything new we should know about. Also, if any SJers are gonna be around and want to have a drink, shoot me a PM.

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Re: Jersey Shore, Fourth of July suggestions?

Seaside Heights, if it's anything like it was when I was a kid.

3. Magic In The Night

FTH, Yes, I've heard that's a good beach. We're going to fireworks in Red Bank Friday night as they come highly recommended. But we're going to check out a few different beaches.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If baseball is your thing, then the Lakeland Blue Claws have a home game Friday night, the Trenton Thunder are home Saturday and Sunday nights.

If you're checking out beaches, make sure you go to Gunnison Beach :D

I'm sure the Bruce boards have provided you with all the can't miss Bruce sites and a good selection of restaurant recommendations

5. Magic In The Night

We have Stan and Jean's book and there's a BTX pre-Pony gathering at the Langosta Lounge tomorrow night and we'll probably go to Crown's Nest in Sandy Hook Sunday night from a recommendation but that's all we got for restaurants so far.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Follow these guys.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd go with you, Magic, but that waitress I've been seeing lost her desire for me.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Magic, for most of the weekend, I'll be a few miles north of you in Long Branch.

Not sure if there is any don't miss stuff -- then again, I usually spend my days running after my kids and my nights drinking red wine after they go to sleep. Jenkinson's in Point Pleasant gives you the full Shore experience, same with any of places like McCllones or Donovans in Sea Bright. Pier Village in Long Branch is pretty nice.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Seaside Heights is not so much for the beach, but for the amusement park over the water....classic NJ: the smell of sausage-and-pepper stands, the oily aroma of the rickety rides, etc. etc.

Great memories.

Oh, and Kelly's in Neptune has the world's best reuben sandwiches -- giant, open-faced productions that you won't be able to finish. (If it's still around.)

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A13708-2003Jul5.html

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

For lunch, the Columns in Avon by the Sea.. a few miles South of Asbury on Ocean Ave.

Sit on the porch across from the ocean, and have a Jersey burger = 1/2 pound burger, melted cheddar and Taylor ham on a hard roll. Spectacular!

12. beanpole

beanpole Member

We saw the fireworks at Point Pleasant beach last year; good crowd, nice boardwalk. Nice enough, in fact, that we're renting a house there in August.

Draft saved Draft deleted