1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jerry Lewis leaving MDA telethon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, May 16, 2011.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

actually, i misspoke, or didn't speak enough. i meant for him to do the whole telethon, not just the drop in at the end. make it a six-hour love fest -- bring back charo and the tall cedars and all the memorable guests, do one final farewell to sammy and ed and the other late greats. if oprah deserves it, jerry deserves it and a half.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

44 years? Turn it into a six-hour "Best Of" telethon, with all the great performances by Sinatra, Dean, comedians, and just have the number scroll at the bottom.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They've been running a lot of the "best of" clips on the overnights. I'll miss it - like some things in life that have been something you've known your entire life - it will be an odd Labor Day without it.
    Glad he's going out on his terms. Funny when you think of telethons these days, a lot of people think of George Clooney and half of Hollywood putting on a show for a few hours after a big natural disaster.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

God love Jerry for all he has done to raise money and awareness, but nothing used to piss me off more as a kid than to have him clog up a full channel from our slim pickings on the one fucking weekend I got to watch as much TV as I wanted. Seething hatred wouldn't begin to describe my feelings toward him as a 10-year-old. :D

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Even more reason to let him go out on his own terms, unless the relationship between MDA and Lewis got sour reallyquick!

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Guessing that last part isn't too far off.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/08/03/jerry-lewis-will-not-host-2011s-mda-telethon/

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of a good biography of Lewis?

10. LeCranke

LeCranke Member

Jerry Lewis is a two-balled Lance Armstrong; a total prick who society wants to give a pass to because he raised money for charity, but in reality that charity did far more for him than he did for it!

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Possibly the most assinine post I've seen in a looooong time. Thanks, newb.

Prick or not, he was raising money to fight this disease for almost 50 years. That's not to be denigrated.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I wonder if the MDA was offended by the GQ article about Lewis? He swore, insulted a few people and claimed to have nailed Marilyn Monroe (and most of Hollywood).

Draft saved Draft deleted