1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jerry Kellar

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by stugatz, May 12, 2007.

1. stugatz

stugatz New Member

I'm sad to report that Jerry Kellar, the Penn State football beat guy for the Wilkes-Barre Times Leader the past 16 years or so, died suddenly last night.
    I sat beside Jerry for six years and learned a lot from him. His gruff exterior belied a soft heart, especially for his beloved Greyhounds and the elderly. Jerry gave up bigger and better writing opportunities to be a caregiver for his bedridden mother for years.
    Jerry and I both lost our mothers around the same time and he was a tremendous shoulder to lean on. I only hope he felt the same way about me.
    Northeastern Pa. has lost its most recognizable sports face. RIP Jeepy.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Jerry and I didn't cross paths too much over the years, but we were certainly acquainted. And without a doubt, he was held in high, high regard among the Penn State football writers. It's a pretty well-known fact that Paterno himself enjoyed the give-and-take sparring between he and Jerry during the mid-week interviews.

From your friends down Harrisburg way, our thoughts are with you, And Jerry ... RIP.

3. boots

boots New Member

Didn't know Jerry personally but I know Wilkes-Barre did a great job on the beat. RIP

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Always enjoyed his work...RIP.

5. Chris_Korman

Chris_Korman Member

A sad day for anyone who covered the beat alongside Jerry. He was truly one of the best people in our business.

6. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Man...that's a shock....saw him on a swing through Scranton just a coupla weeks ago....a very big man with an even bigger heart...my prayers are with his family....

7. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

Very sad news. He and Paterno often engaged in verbal sparring matches, which both men seemed to enjoy. And Jerry did the best Paterno impression on the beat. A really good guy. RIP

8. InTheSkeller

InTheSkeller Member

Very sad news, indeed. One of the truly good guys in this business and a great one to sit next to in the press box -- he knew the game because he played it, and he was funny as hell. He's gonna be missed. :'(

9. RIP, big guy. Gone way too young, at 46.

Here are two nice pieces from the Times-Leader:

http://www.timesleader.com/news/20070513_13-JERRY_KELLER_ART0.html

http://www.timesleader.com/sports/20070513_13_Konopki_column_ART.html

Draft saved Draft deleted