1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jerry Jones Wants To Host Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. Bout

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

PEDs would make it even easier though, no?

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Could be, I'm just basing that on people in the amateur boxing and wrestling circles I've talked with. Losing weight also involves losing muscle many times.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.examiner.com/x-10947-Indianapolis-Fight-Sports-Examiner~y2009m12d25-Fairplay-Propaganda-Fear-Racism-Examining-the-FACTS-regarding-Mayweathers-steroids-accusations

"Here's Pacquiao's weights in the last 4 years:

Pacquiao vs. Morales 3: November, 2006 - Pacquiao's weight inside the ring was 144 lbs.

Pacquiao vs. Barrera 2: October 2007 He was 144 during fight night.

Pacquiao vs. Marquez 2: March 2008 - Pacquiao's weight during the fight was 145.

Pacquiao vs. Diaz: June 2008 - Pacquiao went up to lightweight for the first time and on fight night re-hydrated to 147.

Pacquiao vs. De La Hoya: December, 2008 - The limit for the fight was 147 and on fight night Pacquiao weighed 148 1/2.

Pacquaio vs. Hatton: May, 2009 - Pacquiao weighed 148.

Pacquiao vs. Cotto: November, 2009 - There were no in-ring weights given but my insiders told me Pacquiao weighed around 149.

That's a five pound increase in 4 years!!! Wow! Steroids huh?!?"

4. Point of Order

Are you endorsing this link, "Black Propaganda," from The Examiner? Just want to be sure.

5. Smallpotatoes

Just that there is an accusation being made without any evidence to base it on.

6. Point of Order

He wants the guy to be subject to strenuous drug testing before he gets into a 15-round (or whatever?) fight with him. I'd say the rampant use of steroids in sports in general is enough to validate any concern that the guy might be juicing. He's not asking Paccquiou to do anything he's not gonna have to do.

7. Smallpotatoes

The Nevada State Athletic Commission already drug-tests. Isn't that enough?

8. Point of Order

I think not.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/24/sports/24boxing.html?_r=1

Travis Tygart, the chief executive of Usada, said his organization has a checklist that it calls the matrix of effectiveness. It includes blood and urine testing, both in and out of competition. Blood tests, Tygart added, detect prohibited substances like human growth hormone, synthetic hemoglobin, designer EPO and blood transfusions, while urine tests do not.

Pacquiao has agreed to have his blood tested three times: in early January, when the fight was expected to be announced, 30 days before the fight and immediately after it. He also agreed to random urine testing.

But Tygart said the 30-day window would still allow an athlete plenty of time to dope with illegal substances not detectable by urine testing.

“That kind of window is totally unacceptable,” Tygart said. “It would provide a huge loophole for a cheater to step through and get away with cheating.”

9. Smallpotatoes

If you want to make the case that boxing in general needs tougher drug testing, OK, but that's not the argument Mayweather's people are making. They've never asked for this kind of testing for any of Mayweather's other fights. Why this one? Is there something they know about Pacquiao that nobody else does?

10. Point of Order

I'm not trying to make a case for anything other than to say it would be nice to watch a fight without seriously wondering if one or both of theh fighters are doping. You asked if the Nevada Gaming Commission's testing is enough. I said I didn't think so.

If you want to make a case for letting the guy (either or both) dope his blood (or maybe not) and get away with it, okay. It's nothing that wasn't done by virtually everyone covering Major League Baseball for the past 15 years or so. Personally, I think if it can reasonably be prevented then it should.

11. Smallpotatoes

I'm OK with stricter drug testing across the board for all fighters. I'm not OK with some people, including a convicted drug dealer (Mayweather, Sr.) throwing out accusations that they can't or won't back up.

12. Point of Order

I see where you're coming from and that's cool. I personally couldn't care less what Sr. says. I just think it would be in both their interest to go ahead with the strict testing -- unless Manny doesn't think he can win a clean fight.

Draft saved Draft deleted