1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jerry Jones Wants To Host Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. Bout

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Or maybe the Mayweather camp should have some proof to back up their suspicions that he's not clean.
    http://www.thesweetscience.com/boxing-article/7560/woods-rants-against-cheater-manny-allegations-plus-more-merchant/

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Big money fight with a lot of pre-fight bullshit and posturing by both sides? I'm shocked! Couldn't ever have happened before.
    Nothing in boxing ever is, was or shall be a matter of principle. Mayweather is just preparing a nice excuse mattress to land on when Pacquiao puts him on the canvas.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Arum says the fght is off:

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Promoter Bob Arum declared the megafight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. dead Thursday, though efforts continued to find a compromise to a dispute over blood testing.
    “It’s over,” Arum said. “O-V-E-R.”
    Arum had set a Thursday deadline for an agreement on testing, the only issue not resolved for the planned March 13 fight. But with the Mayweather camp still insisting on using the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency to conduct the tests, Arum said there wasn’t much left to discuss.
    “They’re viewed by the Pacquiao side as being partisan,” Arum said, referring to USADA. “He doesn’t want to use them. I don’t want to use them. They’re so inflexible they can’t be used.”
    Despite Arum’s statements, there were some talks through intermediaries to try and salvage the bout. Neither side, though, appeared to be backing off its position on the biggest dispute: Who will do the testing?
    Arum said he planned to move forward by having Pacquiao fight March 13 against Paul Malignaggi, a flashy but light-hitting 140-pounder. He said there was still a chance Pacquiao and Mayweather could meet later in the year.
    “As far as I’m concerned the fight is over,” Arum said. “Can it be revisited in the fall? We’ll see.”

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I haven't been paying very close attention, but has Mayweather and/or his camp ever made similar demands before his other fights? You'd think they would have mentioned that by now.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've seen one fighter drag his feet before, but I've never seen two of them scurry away from a payday like these two. First the Mayweather camp with the goofy roof complaint, now Pacquiao with the dope testing complaint.

Pacquiao's backing out is only an excuse: He can 'roid his brains out now and be clean by April. ADD: Although with all the pain-in-the-ass stipulations, can't say I blame him.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yeah, that Arum guy seems like a dick.

7. Smallpotatoes

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=22338&more=1

Pacquiao plans on suing the Mayweathers and Golden Boy for defamation.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I know] a very easy way he could "assure everyone that (he has) not used any form or kind of steroids," as he claims.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Bob Arum told a sports talk station in DC that there would be no fight today. That means there will be a fight and it'll be huge. Boxing is made up of the biggest liars in all of sports.

10. Smallpotatoes

Before the Mayweathers started throwing around accusations, where was the evidence that he was using?
    You're OK with accusing somebody os using banned substances based on nothing more than gut instinct?

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Ex. A:

Pacquiao to move up two weight classes to fight De La Hoya

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3558298

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Its a lot easier for a fighter to add weight and to fight up in a weight class, than it is for one lose the extra pounds and fight down.

Draft saved Draft deleted