1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jerry Jones Wants To Host Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. Bout

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Dec 17, 2009.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Last I heard, they were supposed to name the location today.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This is really old news. Jerry's been salivating over this fight for months. The last thing I remember reading about this was a couple weeks ago, when the promoters had a trip set up to tour the stadium and listen to Jerry's proposal, but one side -- Mayweather's, I think -- backed out at the last minute, saying they didn't want the fight there.

4. standman

standman Member

I guess I can understand Mayweather's point of view. He lives in Vegas and his best chance of winning will be by decision, so where else would he go to get some home cooking. But Mayweather also had financial problems and it seems to me like they can make an unbelievable amount of money at the gate compared to any venue in Vegas. Plus, it will not be an outdoor stadium like somebody from Mayweather's group said. I'm sure Jerry will close the roof for them.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's in Vegas, according to Black Sports Online:

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/index.php/2009/12/sources-las-vegas-to-host-floyd-mayweather-vs-manny-pacquiao/

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

So.... I'm guessing Manny Pacquiao and a lot of NFL and MLB players are doping.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hJBNonLKUWUJ1Aj4nYYqbj7lvHLwD9CP5RE01

The promoter for boxing sensation Manny Pacquiao says a fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. will not happen unless Mayweather's camp drops its insistence for Olympic-style blood testing.

... Arum said Wednesday that Pacquiao would agree to testing by the same agencies that test pro football and baseball players, but not for random tests by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

More recent writethru: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091223/ap_on_sp_bo_ne/box_pacquiao_mayweather

That superstitious "Manny believes drawing blood will weaken him" excuse holds about as much water as a colander.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Yet Mayweather is still painted as the villian. Or is this more of the regular posturing in boxing?

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I wonder if Golden Boy will ask for "Olympic-style drug testing" for the Shane Mosley-Berto fight since Sugar Shane was named in the Balco case.

10. mb

mb Active Member

Things we've learned, or at least things I'm now 99% sure of:

-- Mayweather is clean
    -- Pacquiao is not
    -- Bob Arum is a world-class assclown.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I really want to see this fight happen. Pacquaio has a good shot at knocking out Mayweather if he can get close to him, but I'm thinking Mayweather would just keep him at bay with his jab for 12 rounds.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I figure Mayweather has some sort of inside data that led to the request.

It's somewhat comical to run a Google search for pacquiao steroids, hop over to Google's news search for that result and look at all the boxing BLOGS! explaining why shrieking that the allegation is baseless and just subterfuge. No, that doesn't have the potential to bite them squarely on the ass at some point.

Fine. If it's baseless, he should agree to submit to Olympic-style testing at once and as often as the testers feel like dropping in on him, at the testers' discretion.

Draft saved Draft deleted