1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jerry Izenberg's farewell tour (final chapter)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spnited, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Re: Jerry Izenberg's farewell tour (10/29 update)

Yea, I think it was at five, but one missed the Detroit game.

Izenberg and Jerry Green of the Detroit News are two of them. Who are the other two?

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I remember reading a Dr. Z column on it (he has done every game but the first one) and I think he mentioned Edwin Pope as one of the guys.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

It's down to 3..Izenberg, Green, Pope

4. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

http://apse.dallasnews.com/news/2005/020505superbowls.html

Bob Oates of the L.A. Times had his streak end this year. He had to stay home to attend to his wife, who had been injured in a car accident, I think.

I believe that Zimmerman, while he did not cover SB I, attended the game. When he wrote that special Sports Illustrated edition a while back ("Dr. Z's Greatest Super Bowl Moments" or something like that), SI promoted it by saying "he's been" to every game.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Terrific piece.

7. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

That was the first thing I read when I woke up this morning and I'm glad it was. That is probably one of the most profound and honest pieces I've ever read in a newspaper. I just hope that when the sad day comes when Jerry finally goes the way of his beloved Ruppert Stadium, that the national sports media recognize and remember him and his legacy the way it ought to be. Sadly, those preening ESPN anchors (maybe save for Bob Ley) and a lot of the "top" columnists will barely say a word because who cares about some old guy from Jersey that covered every Super Bowl when TO falls asleep during a team meeting, Barry Bonds sneers at some little kid asking for his autograph or when (insert any random NFL/NBA player) does something stupid, immature or classless in a game, which is every damn day.

I'm saving/preserving that article and I'm going to hang it somewhere that I'll always see it If ever comes the time that I read it and my principles don't approach those, I'll slap myself across the face until the sense comes back to me. I hope that every that has a chance to meet Jerry and hasn't already takes the time to seek him out and say hello.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

9. powerplay

powerplay Member

Incredible piece. Every sportswriter and columnist needs to print it out and tack it to his bulletin board above his desk.

10. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

Just an aside here, but when I tried looking up Jerry on Wikipedia, not only was he only mentioned as a famous Rutgers alum, but that he's an EMMY-winning sports journalist. If he won an Emmy, I wonder what Stewie Scott, Screamin' A & Woody Paige would sound like.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Jerry always got to the soft heart of an issue as well as anyone, and without hitting the reader over the head. That column is required reading for journalists and their readers.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He should have retired before he wrote this:

His name was Barbaro and he touched America, generating a tidal wave of hope and a prayer that far transcended its race tracks, its back stretch ramblers and its tack rooms from Maine to California.

He was a fallen hero, fighting for his life and his battle caught the nation's collective heartbeat and merged it with the cadence of his own.

Barbaro died Monday at the New Bolton Center's George D. Widener Veterinary Hospital in Kennett Square, Pa., ending an eight-month struggle that dominated the hearts and minds of this country in a way that no other horse ever had ... not Secretariat ... not Sea Biscuit ... not Citation. They were providers of magnificent headlines. But Barbaro was the provider of incredible courage.

Technically, the medical reason was incurable laminitis, although Lord knows, the best in the business tried like hell to give him a fighting chance. The initial injuries were a broken cannon bone above the ankle, a broken sesamoid bone behind the ankle, a broken long pastern bone below the ankle. The pastern bone alone had shattered into 20 pieces.

http://www.newhouse.com/barbaro-an-american-hero-2.html

Draft saved Draft deleted