1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jerry Izenberg's farewell tour (final chapter)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spnited, Sep 25, 2006.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Re: Jerry Izenberg's farewell tour

You know, part II reminds me that when they do those threads about who do you wish was still around, or who would you like to have met, I always forget Stanley Woodward.

2. JohnnyChan

JohnnyChan Member

I had one of the great honors and privileges in sportswriting history, sharing the Ledger column with Jerry for 3 1/2 years. There's no way to properly convey what an education that was, on so many levels. We traveled together a lot, and no matter where we were -- airplane, hotel lobby, press box, restaurant -- people would walk up, nervously, and want to tell him how much he meant to them. There isn't another living sports writer -- not one -- who's affected more people more profoundly than Jerry. You can include me at the top of that list. Whenever I hear of columnist partners who don't get along, or where the established guy/gal feels threatened by the punk kid, I'm reminded of how lucky I was to be exposed to his grace, his wit, hit integrity and his generosity.

We won't soon see his like again.

-- Mike Vaccaro

3. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

Both are tremendous reads. As a Jersey guy I've always liked his columns, but it's nice to hear some of his stories as I'm still just on my way up.

4. Re: Jerry Izenberg's farewell tour

a master storyteller. vanishing breed. always loved his work

5. estreetfan75

estreetfan75 Member

Well put .... Growing up in the Midwest prior to the Internet, I was largely unaware of Jerry's work until I checked out "No Medals For Trying" from the public library. It was a week in the life of the New York Giants during the Parcells-Simms-LT days and it was an incredible read for a wanna-be sports writer. ... As soon as the 'Net started, Jerry's been a regular read because of his horse racing and boxing columns in addition to the major team sports.

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Like many Jersey guys, Jerry's a huge reason why I got into this biz, if not THE reason. He's probably heard it so many times. I've never had the honor of meeting the man. The first two installments of this series are just vintage Izenberg. It's great to know he's going out on top. He truly has meant so much to people from all walks.

The youngsters on the board can learn a lot about the honor that used to be the newspaper business from reading Izenberg's stuff.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, my dad took me down to the Ledger one Christmas day to meet Jerry. I knew he was the paper's big-time columnist and his iconclastic prose style turned me onto sportswriting. There he was in composing, laying out pages, nice as could be.

His unpublished book is entitled, "No Holidays for Jews."

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Jerry is a legend any way you look at it... I think he's one of four print journalists who have covered every Super Bowl...

9. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

"Part Four" today about Vince Lombardi, Eddie Robinson and Larry Doby is well worth your time.

Yikes! The series is half over already ... I have to think he's still got personal recollections of the Mantle-Maris-Berra Yankees, his relationship with Ali and a whole lot more to cover, maybe even how he "damn near single-handedly" (my words, not his) kept the N.J. Devils from sneaking off to Nashville in '95.

10. Re: Jerry Izenberg's farewell tour

Once at an event, Jerry spilled his coffee on my laptop keyboard.
    (Hint: The handdryers in the men's room are the ticket.)
    I think he stopped apologizing three years later.
    A great human being and a blessing on the craft.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Today's installment was superb.
    I believe Part 5 next week is all Ali....should be great stuff

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

you have a link for fools like me who can't find it?,

Draft saved Draft deleted