1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jerry Greene retiring in Orlando

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rufino, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Hope this is self-chosen by Jerry, but he's definitely stepping aside at the Orlando Sentinel. He's given me a lot of laughs over the years.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Absolutely one of my favorite people of all time to hang out with, and the focal point of one of my favorite on-the-road stories ever. He made the Bucs beat a lot of fun back in the late '70s and early '80s. I, too, hope it's his decision.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

From what I hear, this was not entirely by choice.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-sportsgreene15041509apr15,0,3129719.column

5. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I liked Jerry's NFL Pix column. Dude never took himself too seriously.

Wish you the best, Jerry.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I love that column just for the term "Sea Turkeys." Hope everything works out well for him.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Jerry Greene was good enough to work at the Plain-Dealer.

8. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Huge, huge loss for the Sentinel. One of my favorite reads in any paper anywhere. The Page 2 stuff he was doing a while back was outstanding, and the Thanksgiving picks column was one of the best things the paper did (and not just for the photo of him dressed in a turkey suit). Thought the shots at his weight started coming a little too frequently back when I read the Sentinel fairly regularly, but the fact he can laugh at himself is what made him so much fun to read. Best of luck, Jerry.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Anyone hear about MORE cuts there? Seven from sports - all from inside/desk crew - though it was unclear whether Lynn/Jerry counted in that number and the "involuntaries" was actually five. Post if you know, PM if you don't want to post.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

80 cut newspaper-wide since the beginning of the year. No number on how many were from the newsroom.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-bizbizreport16041609apr16,0,5162545.story

11. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

"Our newsroom is filled with smart and committed journalists," Editor Charlotte Hall said. "We will succeed by providing relevant local news and a forum for exchange of ideas and information."

Filled? Hah.

Not much of a quote, but I suppose she had to muster up something.

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

So is the newsroom actually half-filled with smart and committed journalists, or half-empty?

Draft saved Draft deleted