1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jermaine O'Neal a Raptor?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Overrated, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I like the trade for Toronto if it's true.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3461029

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree. O'Neal has to stay healthy, though. The same can be said for Ford.

3. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Oh, no doubt, J&E.

O'Neal, even when healthy, isn't what he once was, but he could give Toronto a decent presence. I'm not sure the No. 17 pick would turn out to much, so I think, while the move is risky, it's a good one to take.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Speaking as a Pacers fanboy looser, moving O'Neal had to happen. He was a steal for Dale Davis, but it turned out he didn't have the temperament and talent to be The Guy. Plus, it was apparent the team played better without him, especially because he had no interest in taking the ball inside anymore. Ford can combine with Tinsley to create one healthy point guard. Ford has an extra year on his deal, but he's only making $8 million a year (compared to O'Neal getting $44 million over the next two), and Nesterovic's contract is off the books (as is Marquis Daniels' $7.5 million) after next season. I wonder whether Bird, with No. 11 and 17 and a few expiring deals, might be making a run at Miami for Beasley at No. 2. He's got to do something to get the fan base excited again.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

This is a boom or bust deal for the Raptors. Either a new start is exactly what o'neal needs and he will suddenly become a healthy contributor at an all-star level once again (will help that he won't have to be the man), or he will continue to be a drain for the next two seasons.

Most importantly, for the Raptors I think, is this will clear up their point guard position and Calderon will finally get to prove he is one of the most underrated players in the league on a full time basis, without constantly looking over his shoulder and answering the same damn questions about splitting floor time with Ford. And at worst they gain a bit of an inside presence with O'Neal. Besides, it's not like they are saddled with O'Neal's contract for the next five years. Two seasons is livable.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I actually think this is a really good trade for Toronto. The Raptors wanted Calderon to be their pg anyway, so they traded someone who would have essentially be their backup pg for a player who may still be capable of being a very good big man.

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Love the trade for the Pacers if Ford can stay healthy. O'Neal is a gigantic waste of talent.

8. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Done deal. O'Neil traded to Toronto for T.J. Ford and the 17th overall pick.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Smart move for both teams. This guarantees the Pacers are gonna suck something fierce this year, but it's still the right move for their future.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

How high was Ford drafted a few years ago? Five? Six? Now he's getting packaged with a 17th overall pick for O'Neal? I don't know a lot about the guy, since he is always injured and I never see him play, but that's gotta be pretty disappointing. Not even being able to be traded straight up.

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Eighth overall pick. He's always injured and can't shoot, but he is a character guy and sees the court extremely well.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Good trade for both teams.

Toronto is trading away essentially it's #17 pick and a little bench depth for O'Neal, and the Pacers are getting some potential life in the backcourt.

Does anyone think Jamaal Tinsley is happy right now?

Draft saved Draft deleted