1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jerk coach or me making a big deal?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Illino, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

We all know the overworked writer has time to spice up their features, write previews and second-day stories, write a daily notebook, cover a game, shoot photos, paginate, make a few videos, blog, Tweet, and take box scores.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Did you make it clear that you wished to speak with the coach after practice and not during practice?

If he still says no, I would ask, but do not write, why you are getting the cold shoulder from him or her. Communication never hurts.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Again, he wanted to talk to the PLAYER.

4. 93Devil

OK, did he make it clear that it was not going to be during practice time?

5. imjustagirl

"I'm not doing those, man" doesn't exactly read as "I'm an idiot and assume you'd want to talk to my player DURING practice," does it?

Are you OK this morning? Nothing you're typing is making sense.

6. Illino

Illino Member

Before this gets out of hand...was intending to talk with player and coach prior to or after practice and coach knew that.

7. 93Devil

The writer should communicate with the coach to find out what the problem is.

Does that make sense?

And a writer should not assume that practice time is a good time to talk to a player or a coach.

8. imjustagirl

93D: He didn't assume. He asked. BIG difference.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Illino,

It ain't hard. You ask the coach again, let him say what he says, then fire back: "Boy, turning down good publicity isn't something most high school coaches would do. I'll let the principal know I tried, then I'll relay your exact quote to me back to him/her. I'll let the school board know, too."

You're not talking to Nick Friggin Saban here.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Only one thought on this:

There was a bit of comment on this as if it was really a matter of "permission."

I really thought it was more a matter of courtesy, kind of a standard thing to do.

When he surprised by saying no, then you just write around it as others have suggested.

11. 93Devil

I would still want to know why the coach has the grudge. It might be easily mended.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, I get that. I just didn't really understand why so many seemed against cluing him in ahead of time in the first place.

Draft saved Draft deleted