1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jericho cancelled!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GimpyScribe, May 15, 2007.

1. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

According to Variety's web site, CBS has cancelled "Jericho."
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117964967.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

Personally, I'm disappointed. While the first season had some ups and downs, I was enjoying the character development and thought the show had some potential in the next couple of seasons. It wasn't a show I anticipated anxiously week in and week out, but I usually walked away from each episode happy that I watched it. The networks seem to have a shorter and shorter leash with these shows.
    I can think of a number of shows that had subpar first seasons and eventually evolved into hits.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Chris Jericho can't be cancelled! ;D

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Well, damn.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

CBS can only blame themselves if it does go away.
    That two-month break between episodes was a series killer.
    I liked the show and it was hard for me to pick back up with it.
    I hope they resolve the cliffhangers, but that isn't likely to happen.

5. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Well... shit.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That blows. They really should do a two-hour movie wrapping the thing up.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

A wrap-up movie would be nice, but there would be a HELLOFALOT of ground to cover.

They'd have to
    -- fast-track the battle between New Bern and Jericho
    -- Explain "who nuked us, and why" ... though we seem to know the who
    -- Expose and bring closure to said nuker
    -- Somehow show what life is going to be like in the "New" America

Frankly, I don't see how you do all that in less than two seasons, much less two hours.
    Maybe they could try a mini-series, where one night is the battle, one night is exposing the plot and one night is looking ahead. Though if they weren't willing to give a second season, I doubt they'd do that.

Wasn't there some chatter about SciFi taking it if CBS nuked it? Or am I imagining things again?

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm pretty confident a cable network will snap this show up, so I'm not down in the dumps yet.

It's clear by the season finale the producers have no intention of calling it quits.

And who knows? Maybe CBS will keep it yet and use it as a spring replacement with 22 straight episodes.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Apparently, everyone else's stories (USA TODAY, etc.) suggest nothing has been decided on Jericho just yet. Meaning it's probably 95 percent gone, but there's that faint glimmer of hope.

10. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I suspected as much, but I really wish they had told me a little more about the initial attack.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Update: Yup, it's gone. TVSquad now confirms its cancellation. Along with Variety, that's good enough for me.

Take a look at what's replacing it on Wednesday, though. "Kid Nation". I won't spoil the suspense/premise here, but good God... they've lost their minds.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Maybe the kids will start shooting each other and launch a war with a neighboring Kid Town, start having affairs with the local barkeep and not tell anyone about the nukes they have stashed in their basement. We can only hope.

"Avenge me son! AAAAveeennnnge Meeee!" Mr. Eckert (Red Dawn).

Draft saved Draft deleted