1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeremy Tyler goes to Israel, gets out of shape, hurts NBA chances

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Nov 9, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So you are saying that you thought Jrue was a lottery pick? What part of his game says NBA?

Many people rate a kid high because of an award he received and who recruits him.

He might be good for ucla's system, but I have never for one second thought he has the tools for next level.

2. 93Devil

So what if jrue followed jennings to europe?

Where would he be?

Chee, college hoops will always be here. I don't think there is any bias by writers.

3. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I don't know. It seems as if they're pretty apt to tear down players who altogether skirt by college or are one and done players.

You can't expect those whose livelyhood depend on covering the sport to see things objectively when speaking on these kids.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Sorry, Stoney.
    Holiday never played PG in his life. Not ever. He was recruited to be UCLA's PG as a freshman provided Collison left for the league. It was always understood by those who knew Holiday's game that he'd need a full year as a full-time PG to establish his NBA draft credentials, but some agents convinced him otherwise, and they turned out to be flat wrong.
    Jennings was Scout's No. 1 player and No. 1 PG in the 2008 class, much more highly regarded than Holiday at that point because he had an established position and some extraordinary talents to play that position. All he lacked, according to scouts then, were appealing size and a better attitude.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

There were mock drafts in 09 that had Holiday ahead of Jennings.

6. 93Devil

Before Europe and before UCLA.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/espnu100?&season=2008

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

http://www.nbadraft.net/2009mock_draft

After Europe and after UCLA.

8. 93Devil

So going to Europe cost him a few draft slots.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

In this case, Devil may have a point. Donnie Walsh admitted as much:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/12492807/weekly-post-ups-understanding-new-yorks-draft-state-of-mind

Personally, I have no issue with Jennings or Tyler or anyone else going overseas -- but the one thing I do wonder is if they are fully prepared for the culture shock. Israelis -- God love them -- are crazy. In your face, aggressive, blunt beyond belief, I'd bet Tyler -- surrounded by sycophants -- has never been talked to that way in his life. I'd got to be a huge adjustment.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if the same thing happened to Jennings.

10. 93Devil

The other question that needs asked is how can a kid be benched in a supposed lesser league, but then he comes over here and does so well?

Jennings' success does help Tyler, though. No mattter how little he does play, some NBA team will roll the dice on him in the draft. Hopefully for his sake it will be in the first round.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Back to Big Chee's comment for a minute: Sportswriters don't have a thing to fear from 17-year-old basketball refugees; the 55-year-old guys in suits and in control of profit margins and corporate mandates are the ones to worry about.
    Furthermore, in an era of downsizing and generalization, how many sportswriters in this country derive their living exclusively from reporting about one sport? We can all think of a few, but to suggest all stories of this nature are done to protect the establishment is a bit over the top.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Maybe not sportswriters but don't think for a minute guys like Vitale and Packer fear situations like this hurting their "baby".

Draft saved Draft deleted