1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeremy Renner takes over the Bourne franchise

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He will not play Jason Bourne, but another operative.

I loved all three Bourne movies and I think Renner is a great actor.

I'm not sure why Damon has bowed out, but if they had to find someone else, I'd say Renner is a damn good addition.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Awesome.

Just watched The Town last night. He's fantastic. Loved him in Hurt Locker. And really looking forward to his Hawkeye in The Avengers.

3. Mizzougrad96

He was the best part of The Town, which was probably my favorite movie last year.

I think he'll be great.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I agree with both of you and, frankly, if was to take over as the character of Jason Bourne, I wouldn't have had a problem with that either.

It's funny because I hated S.W.A.T. and I could have sworn for the longest time that he was in the first "Final Destination" flick, so when I saw "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford," I was surprised that he was pretty decent. Then "The Hurt Locker" came out and I couldn't believe this was the same guy from SWAT and "Final Destination." Turned out it wasn't the same guy from "Final Destination" and Renner really is one hell of an actor.

The scene at the cafe with Affleck and the girl in "The Town" was probably the best one in the movie and all because you weren't sure what he was capable of.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Matt Damon is to Bourne what Sean Connery was to Bond. I would have a hard time seeing anyone else in that role. Glad they aren't trying to go the James Bond route with this
    Damon left because the director from the first three films bowed out and he didn't want to continue the series without him. He also had issues with continuing the premise of Bourne trying to find himself when he basically resolved that in the third movie
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/greengrass-damons-final-word-on-bourne-theyre-done/

6. Mizzougrad96

I thought there was a fourth Jason Bourne book. I might be wrong.

Doug Liman directed the first movie. Paul Greengrass did the second and the third.

Either way, I hope they get a great director and I'll be the first in line when the new films come out.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

My bad, I forgot Liman did the first one. But, yes they have a new director. I forget just how many books there were, but I was just referencing what Damon actually said. I will probably go see the movie, it just won't be the same without Damon.

8. Mizzougrad96

I'm surprised Liman hasn't done more films. After Swingers, Go, Bourne Identity and Mr. and Mrs. Smith, I thought he'd become a superstar, but we've barely heard from him since.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I thought Favreau directed Swingers (one of my all-time favs.)

10. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

So true.

11. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

There is a fourth book, which was published after Ludlum's death.

Tony Gilroy - who scripted all three of the films - is directing this one. What I find most interesting is the list of other actors who were under consideration; Shia LaBoeuf, Taylor Kitsch (?!) and Garrett Hedlund among them, all of whom are a solid decade younger than Renner.

Draft saved Draft deleted