1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeremy "Money Ball " Brown Retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 19, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

I think I'll take the guy with 80 RBI, 93 runs scored, 50 SBs and 112 strikeouts to the guys with 82 RBI, 61 runs scored and 164 strikeouts.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Steals have no value in the Beane system so Brock and Crawford would be of little use.

3. Boom_70

Then you should be the GM of Tampa

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Nah, Boom, I don't want to be associated with those loosers.

I prefer teams that choke like dogs in September

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

That would have been a good career move.

6. Boom_70

Well maybe if you had Derek Jeter as your shortstop instead of a guy with a bunch of useless stolen bases you might not have choked.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That Crawford only scored 92 runs last season despite stealing 50 bases is an indicator of how important others getting on base is to drive players home.

Look at the teams with the top On Base Percentages last season:

1. New York Yankees; 2. Boston Red Sox; 3. Colorado Rockies; 4. Philadelphia Phillies; 5. Los Angeles Angels.

No.2 and No.3 played in the World Series, the other three made the postseason.

Both Seattle and Detroit, No.2 and No.3 in batting average, not in the postseason. It's an oversimplified argument, because it doesn't take into account quality of pitching or fielding, but those are the numbers when it comes to hitting stats.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

But you know Boom, the saber-geeks can prove that Jeter is the worst defensive shortstop in the history of baseball.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

No, just that his value of his bat is far greater than that of his glove. Incidentally, Jeter's career .388 OBP and patience at the plate would be another reason Beane would probably have loved to have him play for the A's.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So your saying Jeter is a good defensive shortstop?
    I knew you were old but I didn't know you were blind

11. Boom_70

There is a stong rumor that the Yankees are about to trade Jeter for Clint Barnes.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Jesus fucking Christ, JC. We had the fucking debate on the other thread. NO, I never said Jeter is a good defensive shortstop. I have said repeatedly he is adequate, far from the worst.

And take your fucking lame age jokes and shove them up your saber-geek ass.

Draft saved Draft deleted