1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeremy "Money Ball " Brown Retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Interesting story today by Murray Chass - Money Ball 8 years later.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/19/sports/baseball/19chass.html?_r=1&ref=sports&oref=slogin

2. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Ah, yes, the rejoice of the scouts. We all know they've never recommended drafting someone in the first round -- and paid him $1.5 million -- only to see him flop. Never happened. Not once.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Beane should have never written that book about himself [/Doug Krikorian]

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, jag, if you bothered to read Murray's piece you would find it was a pretty fair examination of the A's picks that year and the other top picks... not a rip on the Moneyball theory.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This was the kid who led to the funniest line in the whole book:

Scout: The kid's got a bad body.

Beane: We aren't selling jeans.

Scout: That's good because if you put him in a pair of corduroys he'd start a fire.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I guess Beane was looking for the next Hatteberg.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I agree. Funniest part of a very compelling book.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

FWIW, Brown's minor-league numbers were actually pretty good, especially last year. Had an .833 OPS at Triple-A in 2007.

But he badly broke his catching hand a few years back at Double-A and thus was no longer able to catch every day. He didn't quite hit enough to play any other position.

Also, Brown's official reason for retiring was "family issues." Not sure the exact nature, as even his hometown paper (Birmingham) hasn't gotten to the bottom of that yet, as far as I know.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Moneyball was maybe the best of the choices of the late, great SportsJournalists.com book club - which I may revive.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

His family mocked him for not having enough win shares.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

That's the best news I've heard in awhile.

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. That the A's Moneyball philosophy completely missed the boat with Jeremy Brown? How many minor leaguers never make it to the show? The only difference between them and Brown is that he was heavily praised in a national best seller.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The point is, Moneyball was much discussed - good and bad - and this kid is kind of the posterboy for the whole Moneyball theory. So there's more interest in him than most. Doesn't mean the system is good or bad. But this kid is notable because of the book.

Draft saved Draft deleted