1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeremiah Masoli Cleared To Play

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just heard on radio that Jeremiah Masoli has been cleared to play by the NCAA. No doubt many teams on the Ole Miss slate are not to happy that they will now have to face Mr Masoil.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Yep, here's the NCAA release

3. John

John Well-Known Member

That's absurd, and I'm an Ole Miss alum.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What a celebration of college football. The guy's on probation in another state and he is getting a master's in recess.

I hope he wins the Heisman. I can't wait for the stories about how misunderstood he is.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Student-athlete! Legislative relief! Hike!

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think this is the right call.

He didn't violate any NCAA rules.

He was eligible to transfer.

If a school is willing to accept him, that's their business.

Schools let athletes who are facing charges play all the time.

May not be fair. He may not end up getting a doctorate or anything, but the loophole is there to be exploited.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

All that said, the SEC in particular is a fucking joke when it comes to "college" and "football." I guess we all knew that already, but this is Case Study #1.

And, slightly off-topic, but Nick Saban is the pimp daddiest of them all.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

With all of the trees the NCAA kills with its rule book - you would have thought thought this area wouldn't have been as murky.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Great for Jeremiah, who followed all the rules exactly how he was instructed to in order to play. Good luck to him in his pursuits both academically and on the turf

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

There were points last year that Mr Masoli was the best QB in college football. It certainly makes Ole Miss games more interesting.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

All that said, the SEC in particular is a fucking joke when it comes to "college" and "football." I guess we all knew that already, but this is Case Study #1.

And, slightly off-topic, but Nick Saban is the pimp daddiest of them all.
    [/quote]

Class: Low.

An obvious subject for a DLB sympathy card.

12. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I think the initial rejection of Jeremiah Masoli's claim was capricious at best. Plenty of others in the same shoes were granted a release by the NCAA to play immediately.

Draft saved Draft deleted