1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jered Weaver's "no-hit" loss

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jun 28, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Re: Jered Weaver

"100 percent is a part!"

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Sounds from the AP gamer that Weaver's error was a pretty close hit/error call.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Great job by the AP writer for getting that quote. I bet a lot of writers tonight don't ask the official scorer about it.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

That, or one reporter went up to the official scorer, and about 20 more then swooped in like vultures and clicked their recorders on.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Watching the replay of the error, the ball had stopped rolling. All Weaver had to do was picked it up as he was running towards first base. Kotchman got the bag in plenty of time to receive a throw. Maybe Kemp would have made it close but it looked pretty routine -- it's not like Weaver dove for the ball or something.

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I don't see why someone wouldn't. He's sitting right down the way on press row. Unless they put an embargo on him to not talk, he's fair game.

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I know, Buck. Just saying you gotta take a different angle sometimes. Props to the AP writer. Did a good job.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I thought it was clearly an error.

BTW, that was a cute bob Weaver was sporting.

9. Re: Jered Weaver

Um, the AP writer did not screw up by saying the two Angels pitchers no-hit the Dodgers. They did no-hit the Dodgers.

That doesn't make it a no-hitter, however. As an adjective, it's right. As a noun, it would be wrong.

Agreed the writer should have done a better job of explaining the situation, however.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Had the good fortune to cover Matt Young's no-no-hitter. Baseball's scoring rule sucked then, and still does. Saying that a game in which a team does not get a hit is not a no-hitter is so hilariously absurd, one wishes George Carlin was still alive to post on this thread.
    A history of baseball in 1990s is going to be a great book. Well, yeah, we had that $3 billion strike loss, and pretty much looked the other way while the players took more drugs than Chinese livestock, but by God, we set STANDARDS for our no-hitters!

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

In 1996, the exact same fucking thing happened to me in a 15-18 yo game. I was 17, and the third baseman made back-to-back errors.

Fuckin guy.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If he makes those plays, the paper writes all about your no-no, and you end up getting a scholarship to college. Right?

Draft saved Draft deleted