1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jenny Dell removed from Red Sox beat because of relationship with third baseman

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gator, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'm married and have a few things to say about her. Is that bad?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There was a local TV anchor at one of my stops who had made the rounds with a few hockey players and a few baseball players. When they found out, she was fired... The program director made a joke to another writer, "All that access and she didn't break any news on either beat... "

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Very good. I've known the type, as well.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

In which Erin Andrews knows without saying so -- Erin Andrews rarely has an opinion on much of anything if it didn't involve someone else's opinion of her -- while Bill Simmons isn't quite sure.

http://thebiglead.com/2014/02/03/bill-simmons-and-erin-andrews-discussed-the-reassignment-of-nesn-reporter-jenny-dell/

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

It's so perfect that Simmons thinks a major conflict of interest is a "weird little code."

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Simmons not understanding that outing a trans woman was wrong is easier to understand now, knowing that he doesn't see a problem with a reporter dating a player they cover.

Guy has no understanding of ethics.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

With Simmons, I think it's more like, "The code these people abide by had no room for me, so I have no use for it."

Disagree with him on this one, but it's worked out pretty well for him.

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

The only bad thing is that there is no indication that Jenny Dell went to NESN management and explained the situation.

As far as workplace romances, one of the best ideas I have heard is that after 90 days, you should go and ask for a job away from the person with whom you are involved.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

LMFAO

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I guess. It seems like a common sense standard to me. I would suspect ESPN abides by it.

The truth is Simmons knows less about journalism than the people he employs. I imagine they don't care. They just a charismatic person who loves the NBA and lets them write about their navels.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You're right. Middlebrooks will open the season on the DL from all the high-fives he got in spring training.

12. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Whatever happened to Kelly Barons?

Draft saved Draft deleted