1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jenny Dell removed from Red Sox beat because of relationship with third baseman

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gator, Feb 1, 2014.

1. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I find this story more interesting in the wake of Henry naming himself publisher of the Boston Globe

2. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Most TV people don't have a concept of ethics. I'd actually be surprised if something like this actually did register professionally with her.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

She's sideline eye candy and a cheerleader for the Sox (check her Twitter feed during a game, not much "news" coming out of it). Let her be sideline candy and ask the players "How does it feel?" after every game and talk to kids during it.
    Even Heidi Watney (who had that job before Dell) agrees.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Eh, it's TV. Broadcasters and the teams they broadcast have incestuous relationships all the time, like when a former player or coach shows up in the booth.

Granted, this situation pushes the limits, but nothing really surprises when it comes to TV. They're more "partners" than objective journalists.

5. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

While some TV types behave ethically and some traditional print reporters do not, I have always regarded the difference between the two this way:

Broadcast is to journalism as bumper stickers are to philosophy.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You're just mad that someone's karma ran over your dogma.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Saw that on a bumper sticker.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Before Dell , there was the Watney / Varitek rumors. Seems like this is an on going issue
    with players and NESN reporters. Maybe they need to move away from the eye candy
    concept.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Of all the "eye candy" sideline reporters I've ever seen, Jenny Dell is No. 1.

Honestly I have no idea if she's any good at her job since I've only seen her around the park in person and not watched the Red Sox on TV.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I watch a lot of Sox games on NESN. She's pretty sharp, and talented.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Does the NESN reporter travel with the team? That might have been why Middlebrooks went public, to get his road freedom back.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I wonder how broad her non-compete is. She should go to work for the Sawks.

Draft saved Draft deleted