1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jenkins to headline Sports Journalism Summit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Elliotte Friedman, Jan 31, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I assumed that was only to the airport, since Poynter said there would be no shuttle available to the Summit.

If that's the case, I wanted to stay at the Courtyard anyway, since I could get points. :)

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

When I called to check, I'm pretty sure the lady said shuttle to/from the summit. I'll double-check tomorrow.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

If you stay downtown, there is/was a shuttle. Of course, you don't really need one because all the hotels are within walking distance. The shuttle comes in handy though for group dinners and such.

4. If anyone is interested in keeping their costs down and splitting a hotel room, please let me know.

5. imjustagirl

A mile is not a walking distance for me. Not each way, not when I don't want to show up gross and sweaty.

And there's only a shuttle if the hotel is providing one. Poynter is not this year, unlike the past two years.

6. imjustagirl

Never mind, it's a no-go from my end.

Everyone have one drink for me, and that should almost total how much I would have ingested. And tell Pat Forde I said hello. :)

7. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Just got the tentative schedule in my email... I'm stoked for this.

8. Schedule:
    Sports Journalism Summit III
    The Poynter Institute
    April 16-18, 2008

Wednesday, April 16:

1:00 p.m.: Conference check-in and greeting:

1:15 p.m. “Advanced interviewing: the path toward more powerful sports reporting and writing. -- John Sawatsky, ESPN. [Barnes Pavilion]

3:30 p.m.: “The power of the image: photojournalism, story telling, and a way into multi-media.” – Amy Sancetta, AP, with Kenny Irby. [Barnes Pavilion]

5:00 p.m.: Town Hall Meeting: “If you ain’t cheatin’, you ain’t tryin’: The speakers and workshop leaders from the summit will explore the history and the future of cheating in sports, and its implications for story selection, reporting strategies, and writing. From a sports journalist’s point of view, is cheating good?” Moderated by Buddy Martin and Roy Peter Clark. [Barnes Pavilion]

7:00 p.m. Social hour. (Plenty of beer again this year.) Greeting old friends. Meeting new ones. [Great Hall]

Thursday, April 17 – Morning Snacks [Great Hall]

9:00 a.m. “So you want to write for Sports Illustrated some day? From idea to interview to lead: key steps in the reporting and writing process.” Jack McCallum, SI. [Barnes Pavilion]

10:30 “From Bonds to Clemens, from Taylor to Vick: An exploration of culture, difference, gender, and race and how to cover such topics with integrity.” Rob King, ESPN, with a panel of responders. [Barnes Pavilion]

Noon: Lunch and table talk. [Lunches available for purchase on parking lot]

Time will be set aside for one-on-one coaching, and for small group discussions.

Table One: Investigative reporting with Teri Thompson.

Table Two: The art and craft of W.C. Heinz with Kevin Kerrane

Dining Room: Small Newspaper caucus with Buddy Martin, Dan Wiederer, and Mike Graff.

1:45: p.m.

Session A: The art of the column with Sally Jenkins, Dave Kindred, and Hubert Mizell moderated by RPC. [South Pavilion]

Session B: Meeting the demands of the new news cycle: Writing the second day story the first day with Kevin Kerrane. [Room 105]

Session C: Building your multi-media skills: An inside look at Friday Night Rewind with Jack Rowland and Kenny Irby. [Visual Journalism (VJ) Lab]

3:00 p.m.

Session A: “From game story, to column, to blog, to TV spot: The versatile sports writer,” with Pat Forde and Jemele Hill. [South Pavilion]

Session B: “The World Wide Web of sports: the power and challenge of user generated content,” with Ellyn Angelotti. [Visual Journalism (VJ) Lab]

4:30 p.m. “Will I have my job next Thursday? A symposium on the reinvention of American newsrooms and the future of sports journalism.” Moderated by Tom Huang, the Dallas Morning News, with Ronnie Ramos, AJC, Teri Thompson, NYDN, Dan McGrath, the Chicago Trib, Garry Howard, Milwaukee Journal, and Dave Morgan, Yahoo sports. [Barnes Pavilion]

The panel will be followed by the awarding of the second Van McKenzie Cup to a young journalist whose work expresses the originality and diligence of one of America’s greatest sports editors.

6:00 p.m. The evening is free.

6:30 p.m. Speakers dinner.

Friday, April 18 – Morning Snacks [Great Hall]

9:00 a.m.

The day begins with two hours of one-on-one coaching sessions for the first 50 attendees who signed up for one.

For those not participating in the coaching sessions, you have some additional choices:

A. “Your voice, your brand, your story: Bringing who you are to what you write.” An advanced feature writing workshop with Michelle Hiskey, AJC. [Room 105]

B. A two-hour hands-on multi-media workshop on the “Art of the Sound Slide” with Ellyn Angelotti. [Visual Jounalism (VJ) Lab]

C. Another gathering of the Small Newspaper Caucus with Dan Wiederer and Mike Graff. [Dining Room]

D. Dave Scheiber and NBA referee Bob Delaney, who spent years infiltrating the New Jersey mob, a story told in the book “Covert.” [Great Hall]

11:00 a.m. Keynote: The Life and Good Times of a Storyteller: “A conversation with Dan Jenkins and a presentation of Poynter’s first lifetime achievement award for sports writing,” with Dave Kindred, Sally Jenkins, and Buddy Martin. [Barnes Pavilion]

12:15 p.m. “Fifty Writing Tools applied to the impossible craft of really short writing,” Roy Peter Clark and Tom Jones. [Barnes Pavilion]

1:30 Farewells.

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I'm really looking forward to the summit. Not so much flying out of Dallas on an American Airlines MD-80 Tuesday afternoon.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Mike Graff involved in two of the semiars. Kid knows his shit. Wish I could be there.

11. Mediator

Mediator Member

Hmmm.. Wonder if the two "dynamic, young" panelists could've been tapped to differentiate their taglines. Dynamically, and youthfully.

12. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I'll be daydreaming of riding the free looper trolley around St. Pete, listening to the (sometimes amusing) jokes of Roy Peter Clark (love ya, man) and taking over the Dan Marino Sports Bar at the Baywalk this week. I highly recommend the jamaican restaurant on top of the pier, too. De-lish!

I've been to both SJS' thus far, but will be on a work trip to Virginia this year and can't swing both. Have fun and safe travels to you all. I really enjoyed both years.

Oh, and will someone please give us the jist of the "will you have your job on Thursday?" pow-wow after the fact? I'm interested to hear what comes out of that one.

Draft saved Draft deleted