1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Jena at Columbia (University)"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Oct 11, 2007.

1. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Umm, sort of. "Hate Crime" speech is a real hotly debated issue.

I side with the conservative/Libertarian and Liberal Civil Libertarian wings that think it is a bunch of garbage for many reasons (that are obvious & I don't feel like writing a detailed treaties).

There certainly are excpetions to free speech when it becomes action or an immanent danger. Some would argue "hate speech" is in that category or the next step over, but I think that is total garbage & a VERY slippery slope.

For instance, what if you are fat and can't stand being called fat & someone calls you fat & you flip out & beat them, was that hate speech?

Or what if someone jokes about sleeping with your mother? Why are some words "hate" and others not, which ones? I say punish the action not the words where at all possible & it will make a much better society for all of us.

TRUE free speech is critically important to our freedom & liberty

JDV - The Super Patriot & Defender of our Liberty!

2. markvid

markvid Guest

And notice, nothing about the sexism that comes out of his mouth on a regular basis.
    Oh, must be free speech from the patriot.

3. boots

boots New Member

Bottom line is that this is 2007. A college professor, especially one at Columbia University, shouldn't have to put up with a noose on her door. That's ethnic intimidation.

4. IU90

IU90 Member

Oy, I don't mean to sound like baiting troll, but boots, just how many cities have you lived in? It seems like you've claimed DOZENS as past homes during the time I've been on this site. You lived in Liberty City and never saw anything? No crime whatsoever? For how long and when?

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

He can be as sexist as he wants. Just gives us one more reason to not take anything he says seriously. Plus it's just further proof that he'll die alone, since no real woman will ever be able to stand his ass long enough to get married.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Nail on the head. Exactly, boots.

7. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Ha ha, definitely not what I said. What I did say (as I have said on many occasion of BOTH sexes) is that someone who doesn't play a sport is typically lacking in the ability to fully analyze what is going on. This is particularly true in fighting sports by which a female poster was commenting & getting the analysis WAY wrong. Whereupon I said she should be able to stand behind & defend her "analysis" instead of "rallying the boys" to defend her (or them stepping in on their own & not allowing someone to critique the work of a female SJ). Whereupon she admitted she knew next to nothing of fighting and hadn't really even watched the fight & I rested my case so to speak. Actually, I would call my position quite feminist or non-gender oriented, thank you.

We are sensitive after being exposed. Apparently, others are having some issues with you in this thread.

In any event, whatever, you are entitled to your opinion & I mine. I am all for letting everyone talk freely & not censoring & deleting posts/threads/etc. Are you???

I think that is the the relevant question.

JDV

8. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

There's a HUGE difference between cracking a "Yo Mama" joke/calling someone fat and hanging a noose. The noose is a symbol of centuries of violence, a symbol of something that went as recently as four decades ago, or in other words just two generations ago. The First Amendment clearly states that free speech isn't meant to incite violence. Burning a cross and hanging a noose on a black person's door are meant only to intimidate and are not protected by the First Amendment. There's no "slippery slope" about it.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

Oh, but it is what you said.

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Well said.

11. boots

boots New Member

You are baiting. For starters, Liberty City is not a city. Its a section of Miami that is basically Northwest 79th Street to the north, Northwest 27th Avenue to the west, Northwest 41st Street to the south, and Interstate 95 to the east. There are parts of Liberty City that are no worse than any other urban area in this country.
    The area gets a very bad rap. For example during the "riot" did you know that it was contained in basically a two-block radius? No, because the media hyped it up to being much bigger than it was.
    Now how about sharing what you know about LC? Is it first-hand or second-hand knowledge?

12. markvid

markvid Guest

So,. what you are saying is you know exactly why McGwire should be in the hall because you played the game?
    Hmmm can't find your name in baseball-reference.com
    So, you know everything about the NFL because you played the game?
    Hmmmm can't find your name on pro-football-reference.com

When's your next ESPN appearance to give all the exclusive details on the steroids?

Draft saved Draft deleted