1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Jena at Columbia (University)"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

But the racist stereotyping isn't BS?? You've got to be kidding.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

And the board sociologist jumps in to earnestly convince everyone that contrary to all historical observation (and not to mention plain reason), there are no correlations between inequality and crime, racial bigotry and crime, and poverty and crime. It's clearcut for him. It's merely explained by the color of people's skin, not socio-economic factors.

Ignorance perpetuates race/class problems, which is the real shame here. For your personal sake, though, I at least hope that ignorance is bliss.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Anyone who took First Amendment law or any kind of journalism law course knows that there is a "fighting words" exception to the amendment that is a long-settled precedent.

Hanging a noose or carving a swastika would both, I think, fall under this exception. Some things are so vile they can only be seen as an attempt to start a fight. They are not protected speech.

This has nothing to do with hate crime or though crime. It's long-established law, like not being able to yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know beaker, racism is so 1800s. Socio-economic arguing really gets my blood boiling.

5. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Hmm, this is actually an interesting discussion.

I agree with parts of both sides.

6. Obviously, Ragu. Glad you've finally figured it out and caught up with him. Sheesh, don't you feel dumb...

7. John D. Villarreal

I agree with that!

8. John D. Villarreal

Yeah, I agree with most of that as well. My only question is do such values & ideals apply to SportsJournalists.com?

9. markvid

markvid Guest

This gem from someone who says chicks know nothing about sports.
    Shall we show the hypocrite the error of his ways now or is it even worth the effort?

10. I say we just ignore it, since it's a blatant example of trolling, and needs no further attention.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Not worth the effort.

Draft saved Draft deleted