1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Jena at Columbia (University)"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Oct 11, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10102007/news/regionalnews/noose_shocker_for_black_columb.htm?page=0

A sad and cowardly act undertaken at the prestigious institution.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

The Post should hire me! I would have caught that they spelled her last name two different ways....

COME ON, NYP! I'M RIGHT HERE!

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hell ijag, i'll one-up you: i could have spelled her name two different ways, too.

take that.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It would be nice if they, you know, stated what the issue with the other professor was.

The racial issues at Columbia have usually come from the desire of the university to expand and the resistance of the mostly black tenants in nearby buildings (many of which are owned by the school). That issue has been going on the the 60s.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

"This is an assault on African Americans and therefore it is an assault on every one of us," President Bollinger said in a statement. "I know I speak on behalf of every member of our communities in condemning this horrible action."

However, if a black had done it to a white, it'd be an isolated incident that would be ignored.
    I am so sick of the PC talk.
    Assault on every one of us. Yeah, ok.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

But's it's OK to sponsor anti-Semitic speakers? But an alleged incident that's probably a setup or a fraud is the end of civilization?

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Isn't it ironic, dontcha think?

8. heyabbott

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

This story can't be accurate. Racial problems exist only in the Deep South, especially Louisiana.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

"an alleged incident that's probably a setup or a fraud". Wow.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Blacks are a minority, and throughout this country's history, they have been an oppressed minority. Whites, by and large, have not had to deal with the kind of threats and slights blacks deal with as a matter of course. So his statement is appropriate as far as I am concerned. Blacks deserve special regard, and strong statements from everyone, when something like this happens, because noose and other threatening symbols--which have been on the rise because of this Jena 6 story--rarely if ever target white people. They only target blacks. The day blacks, as a whole, start perpetrating the kind of shit people of other races still perpetrate on blacks every day, I'll accept someone saying, "If a black had done it to a white it would be ignored." I was with a black friend two weekends ago. There were three of us. The black guy, a white woman and me (white, and dorky to boot). We hailed a cab. My black friend stepped forward, opened the back door to the cab, and the driver screeched off with the door open. That kind of shit never happens to me. Blacks may not be getting lynched regularly the way they did 50 years ago, but they still put up with a ton of crap. I have black friends who frequently get pulled over because their cars are too nice. Those kinds of things are sickening, but they are nothing compared to someone hanging a noose as a threatening symbol. Anyone making a strong statement about that crap is not just engaging in "PC talk," because the treatment is very real and still happens way too frequently.

12. heyabbott

You really need to qualify that statement, WhitesChristian Americans of European Ancestory, by and large, have not had to deal with the kind of threats and slights blacks deal with as a matter of course. In many large East Coast cities during the 90's, Asains, particularly Koreans, were targeted for beatings, robberies and arsons by African Americans, by and large. That threatening conduct has now been transfered to Hispanics. Everyday I see, young black males target spanish speaking victims for robberies and beating because they know they can't communicate very well, and are afraid of the courts and police due to immigration issues for themselves or their families. Sikhs, Hindus and many Muslims are targeted by a variety of ethnic Christians for violence. And Christians, both white and black, have demonstrated severe and often violent anti-semitic tendancies over the years.

Due to the history of this country it is fair to consider that African Americans, who are decendants of slavery, are deserving of special regard, but not a the expense of the rights, freedoms and liberities of non blacks. If we won't bend the Constituion for child molestors, rapists and murderers, then certainly African Americans can live within the same framework of civil American society as everyone else. hate speech is speech.

Draft saved Draft deleted