1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jena 6 All-purpose thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Sep 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That's funny because the impression I'm getting from all of the civil rights activists is that the noose incident and the beating incident are related.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

No one is excusing anyone of anything-only asking that they be charged fairly and properly-i.e. relative to the white kids who instead of being expelled, were only given three days suspension.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Clearly they are-if you consider that the noose hanging incident was the catalyst for multiple fights. And for what? Because some black kid sat under a tree called the "white tree?"

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Did the black kids get charged with hate-crimes?

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

They're related in that the noose incident was the first step in an escaltion of racial tension.

Sometimes you can learn more about a subject by reading about it. It's called research.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think the point a lot of people are making is that if you did not read 40 - 60 column inches on Jena and instead received your news from the TV, you would think what many of us are/were thinking.

7. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

I grew up near Jena -- within an hour or so of the place. If it ain't the absolute asshole of America, it's damn close to it. Jena is one of those places if you have half a brain, you leave town after high school graduation and only come back to visit Mamma and Daddy at Christmas. It's not surprising that crap like this jumps off in such an ass-backwards area.
    The sad thing is, Louisiana has changed a lot. The state is on the verge of electing a 37-year-old Indian-American governor, Baton Rouge and Shreveport have youngish black mayors....the mayor of Baton Rouge is a darling of the business/downtown crowd. It's just that you have these pockets of ignorance.

8. dog428

dog428 Active Member

This is so stupid. All the way around. Everybody involved. And that includes everyone here, if you're taking a side.

Jesus. They hit a kid from behind, knocked him down and then kicked the shit out of him. Six on one. Excuse me for not giving a damn what happens to the little assholes or what prompted such a pathetic display. This was not a "schoolyard fight." This was the kind of shit that gets somebody dead or eating through a straw.

And the folks at the school deserve to spend a little time in jail, too. This shit should've been squashed with the noose incident. If the punishment for that dumbass move had been severe enough -- and had the punishments for any subsequent actions from either side been severe enough -- none of this would've happened.

The "all-white jury" is bullshit. It's a term used by Jesse and Al to add another element of shadiness to this thing. Like Whitlock said, it's not like they weren't allowing blacks on the jury. None showed. You wanna bitch about the racial makeup of the jury, call the dumbasses who ignored the summonses.

And when, exactly, do Jesse and Al lose credibility? They haven't been right about anything since 1967. And here they are -- AGAIN -- glossing over important facts and completely misrepresenting other facts to make their "this is just like Selma" case.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you typed.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Thank you, Jason.
    Thank you, dog.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

dog,

You are correct that there is plenty of blame to go around.

The problem, however, is that only the black kids are held accountable or -- depending on your view -- more than accountable.

No question the school super blew it big time from the start.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And the DA.

And the people who didn't show up for jury duty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.