1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jena 6 All-purpose thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Sep 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Lash out, react, do anything you want. This is the thread to do it.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

For those who don't know what Poin's referring to, here's the article from today's Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/21/us/21jena.html

The subject's getting bounced around on the still-not-dead taser thread, but here's a quote from the Times piece that I posted over there.

A marcher, Latese Brown, 40, of Alexandria, said, “If you can figure out how to make a school yard fight into an attempted murder charge, I’m sure you can figure out how to make stringing nooses into a hate crime.”

Read about this story a while back. Wondered when the shit would hit the fan.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

4. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I can't believe it's taken, what, four days, to start a thread on this here. And I know that starting this on the taser thread took that thread off track, but sonofabitch, how can this topic not have a thread while "The" Andrew Meyer has 18 pages of arguing. And how's this for amusing. From AP.

Hours later, police in nearby Alexandria said they arrested a white man after officers noticed two nooses dangling from the rear of his pickup truck. The driver, identified as Jeremiah Munsen of Colfax, was charged with inciting a riot.

Maybe they should charge the people who hung the noose with the same.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You had to ressurect that pathetic thread?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh...this should be fun.

Obviously, this was badly handled, from the failure to properly address the incident with the nooses to the attempted murder charge. Still, how many assault charges does Bell have to face before we wonder about him, too?

And BYM, you know how it is with this place....not always a rhyme or reason to things.

8. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

http://averagebro.blogspot.com/2007/09/averagebro-blogs-live-from-jena-la.html

There's a link in the "Epilogue" for a contribution to the legal fund for the six black students.

Neither of the links I've posted is by way of commentary; just to provide something you may miss otherwise if this subject interests you. I've been following it for a while, from straight news to all sorts of opinion pieces.

That's enough from me.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

So the argument is: they beat the boy, but not that bad?

10. "And I am in no way excusing the nooses."

Of course he is, in the context of the subsequent events.

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

12. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Black people don't want to discuss this with you. We have our OWN bloggers - thanks anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.