1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jemele parks one off Pettitte

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Chi City 81, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Aside from going to the "Riiight" well once too often, she eloquently stated what most of us thought after his non-apology apology.

Keep it up, Jemele.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/071217&sportCat=mlb

EDIT: Please forgive the poor baseball metaphor in the thread title.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed on all points. And it wasn't THAT bad of a metaphor. Thanks for the link.

3. Actually, I know some people who do smoke weed only for their glaucoma.
    Jamele gets glib again.

4. Well done, Jemele

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

But how often, in the course of people getting busted for marijuana possession, is that actually a valid excuse? One in 50, 100?

Not saying I agree with the "War on Drugs," I'm just sayin'.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Keep the pressure on, Jemele.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Meh ... she makes a few good points, but makes a few weak ones as well. For instance, asking if we are to believe Pettitte is the only player to have the self control to use it for only a few days is pretty weak considering he never said or implied anything like that and simply said that after taking it, he was uncomfortable with what he was doing and decided to stop.

Now, I'm not saying I believe that (after all, he had access to McNamee's statements of doing it 2-4 times before he made his apology and could have just decided to take the low number and say that's all he did), but it is plausible that any athlete might go through a similar situation. I don't find it to be a wild notion the way Jemele seems to.

Either way, the column didn't do much for me. I had no real reaction to it one or another, and that's not really a good thing for a columnist.

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Slight thread-jack, but I think it looks pretty bad for Clemens if Pettitte basically confirms that everything McNamee said was accurate.

Sure, in theory McNamee could have told the truth about Pettitte and lied about Clemens, but it's a little tougher sell to believe he'd do that.

9. Did she (or anyone else) really think that Pettitte "said" anything?

I'd bet 99 percent of all "statements" aren't made by the people who were said to have made them. The way that one was worded reeks of high spin by his agent.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The more I see her on TV and the more I read her, the more I like her. She's not toeing anyone's party line and maintains a level-headed voice of reason.

11. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I think Jemele's stuff is consistently very good.

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Active Member

[​IMG]

Riiiiiiight.

Draft saved Draft deleted