1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jemele on Larry Johnson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Dec 5, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Northwest Airlines broke what now?

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

The original NWA Studio Gangsters:

[​IMG]

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Boalsburg.

Next?

4. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

That column was a turd. Lack of depth, lack of ability to engage, lack of real insight ... took a sordid topic and made it boring. If that's "hip," well, then it must be hip to suck. I liked the Johnson piece, but the Superhead piece blew.

And let's not forget Ice-T on the gangsta rap front. His earliest stuff made NWA look like they were doing a reading from The Ladies Home Journal.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Thanks dude, I just spit soda all over my keyboard...

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I hear ya, Jason, I hear ya. I still didn't like it on first read, though now I'm sure it was tongue-in-cheek. From a tongue-in-cheek perspective, it is very slick, in a pantomime way. I'll give it that. I see that a little better on the second read. Probably what she intended and it flew over my overwrought little head. Or are you just giving her props b/c you, too, wrote about 'Superhead?' ;)

(still recovering from Doc's 'lack of cultural memory' rebuke re: Eazy-E and the "studio gangster" term) Yep, you're both right. That's probably why I liked it, because I had heard it somewhere before. People often go with what they're familiar with. Nothing like a fresh pimp-slap via NWA to start the day! :)

". . . Record stores sell out, because you love it! Another example of how Eazy does it!"

I miss that guy. I really do. Damn, he had talent. And some insane jerri curls, too.

Yeah, down about where that military monument is. Isn't there an old tank sitting there? Ha ha.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

21 turns me into a bedroom gansta when she shakes her mony maker.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Big Sexy, I didn't listen to rap growing up in the 80's (personally I thought it was garbage because it wasn't 'singing'), so I had no clue that "studio gangsta" was used then.

My goodness, I never would have thought to considered Ol' Blue Eyes as a "Mafioso poser." I did find the groupie column a little choppy, nevertheless, a barrel of laughs as she describes the rules groupies have with their deities. I never thought groupies would have their own rules and regulations when it comes to being hanger-ons and bedding celebrities.

I thought their job was to be skanks, not have standards to go by.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Excellence in execution.

And Sinatra was always tied to the Mob in the press, Fen, so no worries there as far as everyone being credited and debited equally.

10. Eh?
    As opposed to the lack of attention paid to the connection between rappers and criminals today?
    Just pointing out that the notion of entertainers pretending to be criminals, or actually being criminals, didn't start with rap music.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

To say the black hip-hop community dissed Eminem is wildly inaccurate. Sure, he was probably dissed early on as he was trying get his career off the ground, but anybody who has seen tapes of his battles in Detroit knows the crowd quickly wound up on his side. The fact that he was EMBRACED by the black hip-hop community is what has made him so successful.

Without the "street cred" he gained from the respect he was given by the black hip-hop community, he wouldn't have ever hit it big. It was, after all, Dr. Dre who signed him to his major label debut. That's a pretty heavy hitter to have on your side.

Eminem avoided getting slapped with any kind of Vanilla Ice tag because people quickly realized he wasn't some suburban poser and he's a skilled lyricist.

12. Wasn't the culture, with its honor-among-thieves vibe, kind of explored in "Almost Famous"?

Draft saved Draft deleted