1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jemele Hill Twitter avatars

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by QYFW, Sep 17, 2017.

1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

So members of the media changed their Twitter avatars to show support for Jemele Hill. This strikes me as a little tone-deaf. I believe Hill's comments were stupid, but they shouldn't have risen to the level of the White House taking time to address it. However, given the media's "role" in political discourse these days, do you think changing avatars will just feed the negative perception of them (and this applies to a lot more than just Trump sycophants)?

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Whitlock has to be envious of Jemele Hill's Q rating.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I denounce your premise and, frankly, think your obsession with avatars is utter bullshit. :cool:

dixiehack likes this.
  4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Was hoping to hear from some good journalists.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

This strikes me as a little tone-deaf.

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Around here, it probably is.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

8. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I'm not totally sure it matters.

People want to be mad. They want to read things that make them feel good and in a lot of ways want something to enrage them. For the first, they'll often migrate to fringy and less down the middle outlets. For the latter, they'll often see what they want to and lose their fucking minds. We see it with rankings, with minor political coverage, with remembering that one thing in a 3-hour broadcast that felt like it was slighting your team.

I'd love to imagine some of that would abate if folks were just more private about their views, but I think this train has already left the station. (Plus, journalists love to stick up for each other in writer fights)

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Nothing to be gained from it. Doing this merely gives management the excuse to whack you one day.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's really starting to look like this random thing that happened came straight from an agent's slideshow.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

It wasn't organic?

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Guess I don't follow any of the important media members on twitter since I haven't seen any Jemele avatars.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted