1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jemele Hill to The Undefeated

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

She got $5M from ESPN...I think her full contract. That's also good for her, and I'm glad she fought for it.

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Fabulous news. Nobody sticks it to her critics like Jemele.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

How do you think she stacks up as a writer?

4. typefitter

I don't think she's a great writer of sentences. Like, she's not Charlie Pierce. I also don't think she ever pretended to be. I think she's smart and brave—braver than most of us know, I suspect—and she has a powerful voice. The Atlantic will be a very good home for her. There is an editor there I hope she works with, because I think they'd make a formidable team.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Agreed. When MG mentioned this being a step up prestige-wise, though, I think it's because The Atlantic has long had the reputation of, regardless of anything else, being home to writers of great sentences. (FWIW, I don't agree The Atlantic is more prestigious than ESPN, which is home to more great writers than The Atlantic, even if no one at ESPN is as great as Coates.) I'm not even indicting Hill's writing, either. I like her sincerity and frankness, honestly, and Pierce, for his magnificent talent, pulls enough stuff in his writing that pisses me off precisely because of a great writer going off on a flourish.

I'm just curious to see where The Atlantic goes with it. I hope she wasn't hired to write 12 times a year. her strength is, you know, being in the battle day after day.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

ESPN gets Nick Saban to return its phone calls. The Atlantic casts a much wider net -- its calls are returned by influential people in all areas of society. That's what I mean by prestige.

7. typefitter

I think The Atlantic is a place that thinking people go to read. It doesn't matter the topic—The Atlantic tries to publish smart, insightful, and sometimes provocative work, and it matters less and less the style than the substance of the argument being made. (Sometimes, like Coates, you get both.) Jemele is perfect for that dynamic. She will bring some real heat.

8. typefitter

I've found that The Atlantic is one of those places that isn't as broadly recognized as somewhere like ESPN, but for the people who recognize it, they recognize it deeply. A certain kind of person is honoured when The Atlantic calls.

9. Michael_ Gee

You said what I meant to say more accurately.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Prestige" is a relative term, certainly. But I think both things can be true.

Plenty of great writers at ESPN, and a reach into every corner of American culture.

At the Atlantic you've got a literary history back to Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Either of those is pretty swell.

11. Michael_ Gee

Jemele has already had to post responses on her Twitter account to fans who misread the announcement and immediately subscribed to the Athletic.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That includes me (didn't subscribe, but misread original announcement).

I'm reading all the descriptions here about the move and thinking, "WTF? Another person going to The Athletic. Yawn."

Draft saved Draft deleted