1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jemele Hill supposedly forced to apologize to UK - result of SEC/ESPN deal?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rufino, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

According to this post from a Kentucky radio host...

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=38645

Jemele Hill was forced to call both the SEC and Kentucky to apologize for her remarks on the Skip Bayless versus random person screamfest on ESPN Friday. Supposedly she said UK fans would be okay with Charles Manson as coach if he won.

Could one of our Bristol folks confirm this? If it's as reported, I'm having a hard time understanding what the sin is here. The whole point of "Around the Burning PTI and 10" is to see who can be more "provocative", right? Jemele's writen some iffy stuff before, but this doesn't seem to fall in the same category. Is this really a manifestation of the ESPN SEC megadeal?

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

She needs to speak with people whose family has been the victim of mass murder, I suppose.

I think that she got in trouble for some Hitler comment.

She's much less hurtful when she gives a play by play on her more intimate moments.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

WTF? Jemele is probably right about UK fans. They didn't care if Calipari left two schools and the NCAA wiped their Final Four appearances off the books, and they wouldn't care if Manson whacked Sharon Tate and 5 others, as long as he can lead their Wildcats to a national championship.

But to be forced to call the SEC and UK to apologize? She was making a comparison to how delusional that fan base is.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Manson might have made a really good coach.

No question about his ability to get young people to do what he wants them to do.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Does Mike D'Antoni need to apologize, too?

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/antoni_would_play_satan_but_not_o93nWjWTVPdKgMP0fjz7vM#ixzz0aGilGeEs

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Shit, Kellogg referred to Duke as a Blitzkrieg the other day.

Mazel Tov, Clark. Mazel Tov.

Analogies just are not everyones area of strength.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Why is that a big deal?

Wasn't Blitzkrieg just the term someone came up to describe the German's all-out attack on a weak part of the enemy's fortification during WWII? I'm not sure if it fits Duke, but that sort of analogy doesn't seem all that misplaced. I know the point was that that would be offensive to Jews, but a Bliztkrieg isn't a term specific to the Holocaust.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

It relates to the Holocaust not at all, other than both terms pertain to Germany during the Second World War.

Blitzkrieg translates as "lightning war," and it absolutely describes how the Nazis used tanks and infantry to conquer Poland in the late summer of 1939, then Belgium, Holland and France the following spring.

9. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Hill is right, though.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I thought truth was always a legitimate defense for libel.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sure, but it's not a legitimate defense against hurt feelings, or money-grubbing power.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm guessing there are about 14,562 ways to describe Duke without, at best, tangenting Hitler's Germany.

I would use one of those instead.

Draft saved Draft deleted