1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jemele Hill on the Vick situation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Again, let me go a litttttttleeeee slowwwwerrrrrrr forrrrr youuuuuu tooooo underrrrrrstanddddd.

IT'S NOT ABOUT THE NUMBER SENT TO PRISON. IT'S ABOUT THE LIGHT SENTENCES GIVEN TO THOSE INCARCERATED BY IDIOT JUDGES WHO SEEM TO WANT TO PLAY THE ROLE OF SHRINK RATHER THAN JUDGE!!!

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

How then do we explain the horrific homicide rate in some our cities, the violent assaults, the rapes?

In the city of Balitmore which has a population of less than 600,000, 210 people have been murdered already this year. 193 of them black males. The liberal justice system is more concerned about keeping the murderers out of jail, then in preventing the murders in the first place.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

People are appalled by the years-long pattern of abusing the dogs for others' amusement, rather than what in some cases were one-time incidents, heinous as many have been. Sentencing guidelines are not based on what someone convicted of a different crime received; they are based on that particular crime. Straw-man arguments are so shallow to make and easy to knock down, so why make them?

4. losttowake

losttowake New Member

a) We care more about Vick because he is a superduperstar, one of the biggest names in sports. If Elijah Dukes had a dogfighting operation, it would be news for a couple days on ESPN, and that's it.

b) We care more about Vick because, as Editude said, he committed years' worth of crimes, maliciously and coldly, and not a spur-of-the-moment crime.

c) and the ugly fact is we care more about Vick because there's no way those dogs were "asking for it." As heinous and inexcusable as violence (domestic abuse, Ray Lewis) is, some people will always wonder if there's another side of the story. Almost no one sees "another side" to the regular destruction and abuse of dogs. We love dogs.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Too bad "Homicide: Life on the Street" isn't around anymore. They'd be doing great stuff with these numbers. Blame it on Luther Mahoney or his nasty sister.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Homicide is around. It's called The Wire. And it addresses these issues with more depth and complexity than Homicide did. Check it out.

And 'yabbot, what has more to do with those murders: The liberal justice system, or the poverty and heroin?

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Leonard Little should be expelled.... even now.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Poverty?that's bullshit. More like fatherless children with idiot slut mothers and moronic grandmothers and no structure, authority, discpline, responsibility and accountability. I know, I'm there on a daily basis cleaning up their mess.

Heroin and crack, self inflicted. no tears from me.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

As I posted on some other Vick thread somewhere, hopefully Goodell has sent Little a letter informing him:

1) He is on Strike 2.999999 - any further disciplinary violations will result in swift and lengthy (probably permanent) suspension;

2) The NFL has the wherewithal -- and quite possibly, the will -- to engage private investigators to assemble evidence if Little fails to comply to the last letter with the terms of his latest conviction which specify he is not to use alcohol under any circumstances, at any time.

3) And if he finds these conditions onerous, invites him to pursue employment in the Kazhakstan League of American Football.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The provocation just keeps on coming. ;D ;D

Not too many people want to do it, but somebody needs to. ;)

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Sorry. I don't live in Baltimore and don't know every penny-ante endorsement he picks up for peanuts. I mean, how much can some ambulance-chasing law firm pay? Fact remains, he won't be a national spokesman for anything ... ever.

12. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Dude you left out the BIGGIE. REEBOCK gave him millions.

Jemele got it right. Since she knew the RACIST were reading her column in record numbers she might as well talk about some social injusticies regarding the jena 6.

She hit it out the ballpark.

Folks hating on her because she had the AUDACITY to bring in social concerns regarding race. That was a smart move on her part. Hate it or love it - it worked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.