1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jemele Hill on the Vick situation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

"What does the "Jena Six" deserve?

Better than the dogs at Bad Newz Kennel."

A rock 'em, sock 'em conclusion from Hill.

I had no Idea that they were considering euthanizing the "Jena Six."

From: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2992065

"Since they are fighting dogs, bred to destroy other animals, their chances of making it are slim. Even PETA and the Humane Society of the United States have suggested that the best option is probably euthanasia. So the pit bulls wait, in 4-by-6 kennels. They're fed, watered and cared for, likely awaiting their ultimate death sentences."

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The Ray Lewis thing was a huge fucking deal. To say he wasn't vilified is silly.

Other than that, the column made several good points, though it's a column that has been written before and will be written again.

What's the solution? That never seems to come up when people are making this point. Should we care less about Paris Hilton, or more about Leonard Little? How do we make that happen? America's obsession with quasi-celebrity and salacious crime pre-dates Lizzie Bordon. It's not like this started in the last five to 10 years.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Here is a fair point too: Who sets the sports news agenda in this country? For better or worse, it's ESPN.

Though Ms. Hill can't come out and say it, if we're supposed to care more about the Leonard Littles of the world, maybe ESPN should spend more time debating those issues and less time jerking off during segments like "Who's Now".

4. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

ABSOLUTELY AGREE!!!!!!

5. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

Anyone who wants to compare levels of outrage needs to understand life does not give us conveniently perfect parallels. For one thing, Vick's "Q rating" is significantly higher than that of the other offenders. There are so many other differences, the comparisons are invalid and pointless.

6. RedSmithClone

The Terence Mann I know was a voice of reason during a time of great madness. Where others were chanting, "Burn, baby burn", he was talking about love and peace and prosperity. He coined the phrase, "Make love, not war". I cherished every one of his books, and I dearly wish he had written some more.

You my friend are an imposter.

How about this: "Peace, love, dope? Now get the hell out of here!

7. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Yeah, that liberal justice system, in the nation with (easily) the highest incarceration rate in the world.

http://www.prisonstudies.org/

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sounds like a job for the ESPN Ombudsman ... not that anybody in Bristol pays attention.

9. RedSmithClone

Does this incarceration last for more than one day? Wait bad example that was a spoiled white celebrity.

How about more than 12-18 months for a f'd up crime? Oh wait that will be a spoiled black celebrity.

How about more than a few months for a DUI that kills someone. Why is it that drug smugglers get more than people who actually kill someone or molest 2 year olds?

I'm not saying that the incarceration rate isn't high. I'm saying that the punishments DO NOT FIT THE CRIMES!!!

Why not? Because there are too many liberal judges (ie. Vermont, Massachusetts), who honestly believe a convicted sex offender will be better served out on the streets with the chance to harm others. Because they believe that drunk drivers will learn from the slap on the wrist and because they all think that people will do a better job of fixing their lives and learning from their mistakes on the outside of a prison cell instead of inside it where they belong.

Again, I never said the incarceration rate was low. It's about the time served.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Don't think this will appease the likes of Ms. Hill, but Leonard Little and Ray Lewis can't even get a gig signing autographs at Wal-Mart. They may have gotten off light in terms of incarcertion, but they've been hit in the pocketbook. And when their playing days are over, exactly how are they going to earn a living? No corporate entity will touch them.

On second thought, ESPN will hire anyone (Exhibit A: Michael Irvin).

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wasn't Ray Lewis on the cover of a video game? I think I read somewhere that he was doing pretty well with endorsements despite his troubles...

I think it's safe to say we're not going to see Leonard Little in any national commercials...

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

She does have some good points, though her portrayal of the backlash against Ray Lewis was flat-out wrong.

Leonard Little absolutely deserves worse than Michael Vick. The fact that Little actually was arrested for a DUI again AFTER killing a woman while driving drunk and did not serve a single additional day in prison makes me sick.

And Little's lack of endorsements has more to do with his relatively low profile than his image. Lewis eventually got his face back in advertisements because he is a much higher-profile player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.