1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jemele Hill on the Vick situation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/070827

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I can't stand her most of the time, but I think she has a valid point here. Of course I'm upset Vick isn't getting the max of five years, but at the same time those other clowns should have received just as stiff if not worse penalties.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I call bullshit for these particular passages...

Certainly the police blotter doesn't contain fewer domestic-violence incidents now than it did then. Phillies pitcher Brett Myers was arrested last summer for his hitting his wife in the face near Fenway Park. Tampa Bay Devil Rays outfielder Elijah Dukes threatened to kill his wife, NiShea Gilbert, and their kids on a voicemail, which Gilbert played for reporters at the St. Petersburg Times. She also said he backed up the threat by sending a picture of a handgun to her cell phone. Gilbert has a restraining order against Dukes, who is still with the Devil Rays (although currently on the temporary inactive list), despite having been arrested five times since 2003.

But there was little outrage over those incidents.

There was plenty of outrage over Dukes and I know plenty of people on this board wouldn't slow down or stop if they saw Myers in a crosswalk.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Red, that's a valid point. People don't get punished like they should for more severe crimes. The outrage shouldn't be that Vick is being overpunished, but that too many people are underpunished.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Please, the Phils had no balls in the Myers situation, and he should've been Christian Petered, whether the charges were dropped or not.

Let's make excuses for the pro athletes. C'mon, let's do it.

6. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Myers took a lot of heat in Boston, where the incident took place.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Don't tell the Vick Lovers that, they'll accuse you of persecuting their hero.

8. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Ahhh we agree on something. Damn liberal justice system.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, but those incidents happened so long ago that it isn't in the news anymore. Which means the outrage had to have been stymied. Otherwise the point can't be made. There are a LOT of columnists who will revise the historical record to suit their points. Ray Lewis took a shitload of heat and still does. Brett Myers took some in Philly-land for a little while, but perhaps not enough. Leonard Little I will concede. The rest of her arguments regarding sports figures at least don't measure up. If she wants to bring up other cases of the news media getting it wrong, she'd have made a better point.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Last time I checked, however, Brett Myers is blowing leads on a regular basis for the Phillies, and I doubt there would be any major outcry if he was traded for or brought in as a free agent.

Dukes played for the Rays after the allegations came out, and it took more issues to get him placed on the temporary inactive list.

If you want to compare the coverage of Myers' or Dukes' domestic issues with that of Vick's, I think you'll find many more inches and a lot more outrage devoted to the latter.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Another terrific outing from Ms. Hill.
    She is proving to be an excellent hire for espn.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

A simple but true concept that unfortunately eludes those looking for a rationalization to be angry at everyone but Vick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.