1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jemele Hill interview

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Jun 24, 2008.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Jemele Hill has an extensive interview on Fanhouse. http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/06/23/fanhouse-interview-jemele-hill-on-her-hitler-comment-don-imus/#cont

Here's an interesting Q/A:
    I think most writers know who edits their stuff. The editor either calls with questions or the writer checks in to make sure the story arrived and (should) call back to make sure all is well.
    Perhaps Jemele's answer provides insight into the fact ESPN.com's "editing" operation might be dysfunctional.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Or, more likely, she has grown up ever so slightly.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

It looks to me like she's taking responsibility and not throwing anyone else under the bus.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Agreed. Good response. Hopefully she learns, moves on and her experience and sense of perspective catch up with her obvious talent. It's awfully difficult for highly skilled young writers not to get ahead of themselves when they're given a huge platform so early in their careers. But it seems to be more than a trend.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah, she played that one well. Although, I can't believe ESPN approves of her chatting about this with the Fan House.

6. Monroe Stahr

Monroe Stahr Member

Is that what this was, Dingleberry? A case of a "highly skilled" young writer "getting ahead" of herself? You ought to work in the Bush White House. They need guys like you, guys who are comfortable wearing blinders and dark sunglasses indoors.

7. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I'm just glad she gave us something else to fuel the board's obssession with her. I'm not sure I'd ever heard of her before I started coming here.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

IT'S MYRIAD EMOTIONS. NOT A MYRIAD OF EMOTIONS.

Sweet lord. Obviously someone's editing her shit.

9. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Yes, sweet lord ... at how much picky and petty bullshit people use on this site to criticize other journalists. Seriously, that post says tremendously more about you than it does about the fact she didn't use the phrase correctly.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Writers should know how to use words correctly.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I confess, I'd have screwed that up too. Then again, I prefer myriad's blue-collar brother: many.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm not picking at her. I didn't say she was a shitty journalist, or an idiot. I said, if she's using it that way, obviously someone's fixing her stuff before it gets online.

I use words incorrectly sometimes. The desk tells me about it when they fix it. I don't say that says terrible things about them.

Draft saved Draft deleted