1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jemele Hill interview on thebiglead.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You know, it is POSSIBLE to dislike someone's work without being jealous or bitter about it.

Doesn't matter if you're #1 or #17...if you put yourself out there and call attention to yourself in ways that could be deemed provocative (ie, the fateful blog), you're going to get that attention whether you like it or not. Might not be a bad thing, either...gets your name out there, for sure.

Yes, it's a man's business. Every successful woman in the sports business has her own sentiments about how to navigate that...not too many would suggest writing publicly about needing oral sex, but she's certainly entitled to make her mark as she sees appropriate.

Bottom line, in any business--if you give people something to talk about, they usually will.

Since my only comment up to this point was to correct the spelling of Gloria Steinem's name, I'll just say thanks for the advice, but fuck off.

2. Mizzou,

I'm disappointed. You're my favorite poster. If you can't see the obvious unfairness of attacking the 3rd columnist at the O Sent, I'm surprised. I love the way the O Sent develops talented young people behind Bianchi/Whitley. It's a smart move. I wish we could afford to do it in KC. And I'm sorry, the baby mama vs. ex-wife deal is a fantastic question. It's just the kind of stuff athletes really debate.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

And since whitlock is here, I'll add this: he's the perfect example of how to make a 'fuck it' move, and then laugh at the fallout. He knows who he is and he doesn't care what you think. Never backtracks or explains or whines.

Doesn't work for everyone, nor should it. But if you're going to be edgy and provocative, that's your role model.

I think that was a compliment.

4. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I think calling her the "third columnist at the Orlando Sentinel" is misleading. She's doing interviews about the craft, etc., etc. She's not exactly a wall flower in the biz, nor does she seem to want to be. Which is fine.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I should have known this thread wouldn't end well.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Just want to echo the sentiments here. 21 said it better than I could have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.