1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jemele Hill interview on thebiglead.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's thebiglead to you.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Just showing solidarity with Gloria.

(Although....aren't Gloria Steinem references a little dated?)

The photo on the interview...is that from Taxicab Confessions?

3. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

corrections fixed. see anymore and you know where to email us ...

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

First off, she lied about the extent of what she posted on the blog. She went in depth about giving and getting oral sex. I wonder if she gives the URL to the prisoners who mail her. And her talk about the prisoners enters She Who Shall Not Be Named territory.

5. Now that's kind of harsh, dude.

6. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

It's just you. Not even close.

7. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

That just made me choke, I laughed so hard.

I'm definitely not a Jemele fan. From what I've heard, neither are her co-workers.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I don't think she lied. And to say that she "went in depth about giving and getting oral sex" is a bit misleading. It wasn't as if there were graphic details involved. She wrote that she didn't want to date men who weren't into, as she put it, deep sea fishing. A perfectly reasonable opinion to have, but one that was a bit too public.

I'll never really understand this fascination with blogging about your life, and I think her comment about if feeling like mom reading your diary is a bit naive. A blog ain't your diary. You write stuff on there because you want people to read it. People need to come to grips that the internet isn't their own personal message board. It's as public as the bathroom wall.

All that said, Jemele is so right about one thing: There were/are plenty of cowards willing to joke to your face, and talk shit about you behind your back. Whatever her talents -- and I do think she's talented -- she's had to put up with way more than her share of bullshit here at SportsJournalists.com and elsewhere, and that's too bad. She's made some mistakes, yes, and that Sexton column was probably one, but keep in mind she's also the third columnist in a city with one professional sports franchise. It's amazing how much people obsess over whether or not she's doing her job well. I wish she's be allowed to grow, and both succeed or fail, without us acting like she's already on the level, and thus deserves the scorn, of a Lupica or Albom.

9. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

The thing is, most people don't get this much room to "grow" at the Orlando Sentinel. You do that at prior stops along the way.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Juliet Macur started her sports writing career in Orlando. Look how badly that turned out.

I think Selena Roberts was in a bureau writing preps for Tampa or St. Pete before being allowed to "grow" at Orlando.

I guess Jemele will have to wait till she gets to the New York Times or something to really flower, huh?

11. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

And if they'd have made bad mistakes at Orlando, they would have been subject to the same criticism. Maybe they were. I don't know the answer to that because I don't remember - though I think Macur did get blasted on here a few times while she was in Orlando for NASCAR-related somethings or another.

Bottom line is that you work as a columnist at a section like Orlando, criticism is part of it. You don't get some sort of grace period while you "grow."

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So personal snipes by colleagues on a journalist's web site is all part of her growth as a writer? Gotcha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.