1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jemele has a point

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by chubster, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. "Race" was the first word of the column.

2. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

I don't disagree with that. However, in life you get ahead by focusing on working on things you can control. Taking full responsibility for yourself is the best way to do that. That you can control. There is racism, sure. But we also live in a country where M. Jordan, Oprah, P-Diddy, Jay-Z, Obama, Q, Parsons, Tiger Woods, The Williams, "New York", T.O., etc., etc. are kicking a@@. So, it isn't like opportunity isn't there if you go after it.

The bottom line is most of the barriers (or opportunities) in life are in your head. That is the truth. To not believe that is to limit yourself and give others MASSIVE power over you.

Think about it. Nelson Mandella, H. Tubman, F. Douglas, MLK, Gandhi all faced WAAAAAY more racism and oppression than you or I ever will. Yet, they all succeeded and changed the world.

Why can't you?

I am!

Be something great. Don't settle for less no matter who you are.

So sayeth JDV - The Super Genius

3. Dumb and biased unless you're talking about the players' coach. That's OK.

4. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I brought popcorn. Anybody got beer?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Look bro,

I will say it one more time. I can't go back and forth with you ok. You want to ruin a perfectly good thread and important topics/discussions that is on you.

The last thing I will say is watching your brain/logic work is painful. Thinking you will somehow "catch me slipping" or "outthink me" is pure folly. Many an SJ ship has sunk chasing that rainbow over the cliff.

This last argument by you implied in the quotes above is about as bad as your one before that.

My advice to you. Either A.) stop worrying about and following me & be happy doing your own thing or B.) stop reacting to me, sit down and REALLY think about your arguments & logic and what the hell you are trying to say & UP YOUR GAME A LOT before you waste my time.

Again, I don't have time for stupid grade-school logic like "all cheating is bad" (oh lord, better round up all the peeps putting on xtra pine tar - lol).

Anyway, you will do what you are going to do, but you will do it without me until you come with something worthy of my time and intelligence and have a better attitude.

Thanks,

JDV

7. That's right. You're way too smart to respond to me. You stick with that.

8. I dunno, W-b. You seem to know the difference between "your" and "you're"

9. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

I'll give you credit, you've obviously spent some time thinking about your point. The only thing I'd add is with the exception of possibly Oprah and I guess Obama, what has M. Jordan, P-Diddy, Jay-Z, Q, Parsons, Tiger Woods, The Williams, "New York", T.O., done to stop racism?
    They've succeeded in life by focusing on that which they can control and have reached great personal success.
    Personal success, though, doesn't translate to a healthy society.
    Notice that all those people you mention are entertainers.
    Where are the successful black scientists, black authors, black doctors, black business CEOs and black politicians?
    More specifically, I don't know if you watch much C-Span...but every time I see the senate proceedings, I'm amazed at how few minorities hold seats in the United States Congress.
    Same goes with the supreme court. President Bush had the fortune of appointing two judges, and he gave both seats to white men!
    While I'm sure white men and women are more than capable at their jobs as politicians, is it fair to minorities who seek more representation of the types of people they see in their neighborhoods?
    Additionally, I'm willing to bet if you went to an urban african-american neighborhood and asked a kid how he or she plans on becoming successful, 9 times out of 10 I'd be willing to say he or she will tell you by becoming an entertainer or athlete.
    You can't generalize the entire race, but you could find a representative sample.
    Why do you think it's like that?
    Sticking with sports, why do you think there aren't more African American team owners, or coaches, in particular college football?
    Racism is still very much a problem and someone has to focus on it and how to overcome it.
    There's no easy solution, and one person alone can't change the minds of millions, but by just focusing on your own lot in life and the lot of the most successful, you're ignoring the real problem of many not-as-fortunate.

10. But I'm not an attorney.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I will agree with JDV that many of the performance-enhancing drug arguments are biased.

They're not racist, though.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Sorry, Ms. Hill. Bad premise badly argued.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.