1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jemele has a point

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by chubster, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Would someone please remind columnists that careless use of the race card actually dillutes it when the time is come to properly slap that card down?

2. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

I think there should be more of an issue made how numerous NFL players fail drug tests by using banned substances and hardly get any press, Shawne Merriman made the pro bowl last year for god's sake, but baseball players don't even have to fail a test to get labeled as users or cheaters.
    But, Comparing Ankiel to Vick is absurd. Shouldn't even be the same discussion~

3. Mmac

Mmac Guest

You know they probably wouldn't be all over it to the same extent as Vick, only because they aren't similar level players. Just like a journeymen offensive lineman NFLer (regardless of race) arrested for dogfighting wouldn't recieve the same pub either.

If Jemele wants to make a valid comparison, the question is how would the public react to a similarly situated white NFLer -- like Manning or Brady --being arrested for dogfighting, and if she thinks that would not be an ENORMOUS story she's nuts.

It's also yet another reason her Ankiel/Bonds comparison is so silly. Ankiel's not gonna break the most hallowed record in American sports, he's not gonna break any records, he's just a temporary feel good story who'll soon be forgotten.

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Please forward that sentiment to the page 2 editors.

On unrelated note to this thread, but Page 2 relevant, Scoop Jackson had a PARAGRAPH earlier this week in a column about the Raiders that was something like 1,100 words. Again nothing to do with this thread, but information that I found interesting nonetheless.

5. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Correct, McGwire and Rose should be in the HOF in my opinion.

Glad to see Jamele taking on this issue. I may have approached the argument a bit differently, but I think her heart is in the right place. She is vibing the Villa game/arguments. Another strong play from ESPN.

JDV

6. Her heart is in the right place? How so?

By turning this into a racial issue when it clearly isn't?

7. John D. Villarreal

No, by saying that the many of the PED arguments are biased and stupid, which is correct. Moreover, also saying that the whole "scandal" thing is overblown and the logic is twisted at best.

I agree that I don't see race being a big factor in this as my good friend Mark got crucified (uh still is) with no evidence & he is a very white big Irish boy. However, while I don't see race as a primary driver here, I can't get into others heads on that score. So, I can't say it isn't an issue for some pursuing Bonds.

However, I tend to agree and have long argued that the way to end racism is to stop focusing on race & I for one have never seen myself (and refuse to be) a victim of racism. I think most problems and solutions are all in our own heads & thus control.

JDV

8. Well, since the point of her column was to play the race card, how does that equate to "another strong play from ESPN"

9. John D. Villarreal

I disagree. I think the point was how dumb/biased the whole PED "scandals" have become, but maybe you see it differently.

10. WHY IS THIS MAN CRYING?

[​IMG]

A. His dog just died?
    B. He watched a very special episode of Different Strokes?
    C. He's a big, fat cheater and now the whole world knows?

11. John D. Villarreal

Dude,

Stop following me. I know I am super entertaining but come on. Kick a good man when he is down huh, figures. Laugh all you want as well. Nobody likes a hater.

Mark will be fine I will bet you good money on that.

It's all in the works courtesy of the Super Genius JDV!

12. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Apologies for changing topics...but what the hell?
    Are you saying that supposed racism victims are just victims in their own heads?
    Racism victims can focus on anything and it doesn't matter because there's still a large group of people out there who hate them no matter what they do. Race issues IMO can't be solved just by not focusing on them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.