1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jemele has a point

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by chubster, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mmac

Mmac Guest

It's WAY too premature to declare that Ankiel's gotten a free pass. The freaking story just broke a few days ago, it hasn't been confirmed, yet folks have been all over it in those few days. Jemele's seriously jumping the gun on making that argument.

As for Clemens, I tend to believe he's been using too, but so far there's no real evidence beyond rumors and gossip. If we had deposition admissions and Game of Shadows type proof like with Bonds it would be one thing, but its something competely different to condemn the guy without any evidence to back it up.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And yet, it's not to soon to declare JEmele will get a free pass for throwing crapola (creamola?) like that out there...

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Me too.

4. I think people WANT Ankiel to get a free pass, but those seem to be the same people who think Barry and Vick should have gotten a free pass ... at least on this board ...

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I take that back. In a sense, she's right.
    The current outcry for Ankiel is not the same as it is for Bonds. Nor should it be. There isn't the prolonged suspicion of use. However, there is no sense of coverup that there was for Bonds, who at first didn't, then did without knowing what it actually was.
    Comparing Ankiel to Vick is just goddamn dumb. Defending the slaughter of animals he bred for combat and bankrolled for his entertainment isn't the same thing. And shame on you, Jemele, for comparing the two. That's pandering to the lowest common denominator -- playing the race card when it not only can't be proven, but isn't applicable. If you think that the media wouldn't be all over Ankiel for killing dogs he used for his own sport but are doing it for Vick because he's black, then you are a race-baiter.

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

And, by the way, Bonds used steroids after they were outlawed.

7. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Slappy: I don't think she would calling it pandering. She'd argue it is a legit comparison. And she'd be sincere about it. Good God.

8. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I do think the Ankiel outcry has died down in a hurry, at least for now.

9. Funny how she starts the column: Race should be injected into a conversation judiciously ...

10. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Pete Rose committed the worst sin a professional athlete can and some fans still want him back in baseball, and the Hall of Fame.

Actually, Jamele, I think Rae Carruth trumped Pete Rose. Don't you think?

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Also completely misrepresents the position of most people who think Rose should be honored in the HOF but who certainly don't think he should be allowed to manage a team ever again.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You guys quit letting facts get in the way of a lucid argument, would ya?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.