1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jemele apologizes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Damn it.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

equote author=JayFarrar link=topic=57545.msg1870717#msg1870717 date=1213733557]
    Here's my question, why should she?
    Honest question.
    She's already got what most people consider the most plum gig in sportswriting — a full-time column for ESPN and on-air appearances.
    What's next after that?
    If improvement is the first step to promotion, she's got not reason for improvement because she can't really be promoted.
    And again, if you don't like reading her, then why are you reading her?
    [/quote]

i don't. only when her columns are cited here do i give her a look. and i've NEVER been impressed.

my initial point here was exactly that: i worry that she won't improve 'cause why should she? same deal with my old buddy rob parker. no one i know argues that he's a good columnist. not even close.

but what motivation does he or jemele have to strive to be better, to hone their craft? absolutely zero, imo.

and that is both sad and a terrible notion for this business that has been so wonderful to me for so long. :'( :'(

3. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

more than a lapse of judgment. it's lack of judgment. total lack.

incredibly immature.

it will take a long long time before i would trust what she writes, if ever.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I said the same thing about John Tomase and I got vilified for it.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So you're the bastard.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You shouldn't have been.

I still say the issues with Tomase were/are much worse than this. His situation should call into question practically everything he's ever done, just because we'll never really know.

This was just a dumb, overblown and out-of-context comparison that was made for effect.

I'd forgive momentary stupidity and a poor choice of words over intentionally sloppy and probably knowingly deceptive reporting/writing any day of the week.

7. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Agree with this completely.
    As for some of this other crap ... I joined this board a long time before I started posting regularly on it. One of my reservations was that it seemed there were a whole bunch of people here with low-profile jobs who were falling all over themselves to anonymously throw stones at people who have the jobs they think THEY should have.
    I came to feel I was being too harsh with that. But sometimes, it still applies. Yeah, she made a poor comparison. Let's stone her in the town square.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's also Jemele... who the pipeline says is not far away from getting teed up on a national stage by another columnist.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

STFU Shockey; everyone else understood what that meant.

10. Yes! Just what readers want! Another columnists war!

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Before those shots are fired, this is just for the record, for clarification's sake: Hill did not call Hitler a victim, either in the original version, or in the edited one.

She wrote that “Rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim. It’s like hoping Gorbachev would get to the blinking red button before Reagan.”

Big difference. In fact, she really is contending there that Hitler wasn't a victim.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

then by all means enlighten me. without cussing me out, please, kind sir

i mean, the aforementioned rob parker might be the nicest, most earnest guy i've ever worked with. it just hasn't translated into good writing for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.