1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jemele apologizes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Technically, the statement said she and ESPN apologize. But in reality, yes, you are absolutely correct.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Pat Riley said 20 years ago that the Celtics were the Klingons of the NBA.

Better to leave these comparisons with fake villains, if possible.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Now that I'd have no tribble with.

4. Mediator

Mediator Member

The Klingons thing is funny. Hitler, never funny.

As a columnist, the comparison undermines her column because it's so distracting... never mind terribly offensive. The problem is ESPN likes its columnists to be instapundits with forceful and immediate opinions. Her point that it's tough for a black woman from Detroit to like the Celtics has some very valid and serious undercurrents, but that's not what we'll remember here.

5. Mediator

Mediator Member

Nothing phasers F_T

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why was she not fired for this?

7. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

So she's a black woman from Detroit ... so what? Go back to the FreePress then. Otherwise, write a national column that someone outside of Motown might care about.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Okay, fine. I just read the column. Some points:

1. She's a national columnist. It's far past the time when she should get over her childhood rooting interests. It's clear it's affecting her objectivity. And she needn't get so indignant about Parrish and Ainge when she was rooting for a team with three outright thugs (Lambier, Ruland and Mahorn) and a certified little punk (Isiah).

2. The city of Boston has had racial problems and tensions. No doubt about it. But to repeat, the Celtics, even though they have put mostly white teams on the course, have been pioneers in breaking racial barriers in professional teams sports. Exhibit A: first black head coach. And can anyone deny the white stars they've had weren't there just because they were white. They were there because they could play (Bird, McHale, Cousey, Ainge).

3. Why dredge up the Charles Murray thing, decades later? The same thing happened with the girls in South Carolina. Does that mean we should all hate South Carolina?

Editing the Hitler reference didn't make that a good column. It's further proof that she's over her head.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Bad, boring, childish column.

10. outofplace

Agreed, but she isn't the only one to write that type of column for Page 2. It is a valid criticism, but I blame ESPN for allowing such homerish crap on Page 2.

It really is a weak column to begin with. The more I think about the Hitler reference, the more it bothers me.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Because she can do whatever she wants

12. outofplace

Excellent point regarding the Vogue cover, 21.

Has Hill stopped posting here? If not, I would love to hear her response to that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.